Stack-it brackets and 2x4 racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamkam

Aug 1, 2008
SW Conn.
Was wondering what y'all are using for cord storage when you don't have a lot of room (and you want to keep your wood pile in the back so thieves don't get tempted).

I've seen these stack-it brackets (made by a co. called Seymour) and they look simple and inexpensive; you just pop in some 2x4s, brace it one either end and top and presto, you have a rack that'll hold upwards of a 1/2-3/4 cord...maybe more. (has anyone pushed them out to 12'?).

Wondering what you folks are using in this regard? Thanks!

I just make a pile but have alot of room so i dont take the extra time for stacking. Thats very cool avatr

Hello Jamkam, I have seen them made out of both metal and plastic. I use a set of the metal ones with the 2x4 cut to 6' inside. I have them up close to one wall in the house and load it up in the Fall with the best wood I have (the cleanest). That way I have a week supply that is nice and dry. They work great at 6' but would think you would be pushing it at 12'. I did find that you do want to screw them to the 2x4". On my rows outside I use galvanize TV mast pipe. It is 10' and I drive about 1/2 in the ground. They also pull out easy when the row is used and are cheap.
Good Luck
Don

Depends on what your wood's like, in terms of straightness, and how level the ground is where you want to build the stack. You're gonna probably want to keep the wood up off the ground a bit anyway, so whatever you put underneath you can spend a little time levelling. The ends of the stacks can be built from nice square pieces, or from nice half rounds. I'll post a pic. Sometimes I find a scrap to use as a shim to compensate for a twisted half-round. Rick

Attachments

• stacks.jpg
    stacks.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 750
jamkam said:
Was wondering what y'all are using for cord storage when you don't have a lot of room (and you want to keep your wood pile in the back so thieves don't get tempted).

I've seen these stack-it brackets (made by a co. called Seymour) and they look simple and inexpensive; you just pop in some 2x4s, brace it one either end and top and presto, you have a rack that'll hold upwards of a 1/2-3/4 cord...maybe more. (has anyone pushed them out to 12'?).

Wondering what you folks are using in this regard? Thanks!

I have used these and they work quite well. I bought a lot of mine on LL bean when they were marked down to about 9 dollars each. I usually use 2x8's so I can get a face cord per rack. But if you don't have a lot of room, stretching to 12 feet should be fine, just don't go too high up or you will be picking the wood up when it falls over from the wind :) . Just get good wood, straight especially. Most of the kits even have screws for the wood, Sweet

You should have to pay more than 15 dollars, just look around at the big stores, even the small hardware stores have them

I have some and they work ok. This sping I bought some metal racks at Lowes 50% off and they where cheeper than the brackets and wood. I will look for more this spring when they put there winter stuff on sale. Like the others said, don't go over 4' high with the wood and brackets.

I did the same as pinewoodburner did, got the same deal this spring and bought 5 of them. I think I like the 2 x 4 ones better though, If you put too much on the ones at Lowes they will bend sadly :sick:

Still a good deal though

Go to Lowe's and over where they keep the floor joist hangers, they have all kinds of brackets for connecting wood at angles. You can get about the same thing for 4 bucks instead of the 20 that alot places want for the brackets. The only difference is you have to nail them together.

I criss x cross the ends like fossil has pictured with 4x4's as a bottom and have no problems as long as the base is level. Using this method you can make your pile any length.

Do you have room to buid a HH? You can put many cords in a small footprint with a HH...

velvetfoot said:
I tried the Seymour brackets but didn't like them.
As I recall, too loosey-goosey.

I had the same experience. The holes in the bottom are not exactly 1-1/2 x 3-1/2 (Chinese made?). I cured this by running a wire in the middle securing the ends together much like I do with my other stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.