1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stack temperature sensors

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by phantom, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phantom

phantom New Member

Loc:
    MA
    hi All,

For those of you running controllers if you are getting the stack temperature what kind of sensor are you using to get it? I'm using the One Wire sensors with my Arduino controller but they can't read the high temps from the stack and would probably melt.

At some point I need to fully document my controller and share it with interested parties.

Twitch, I definitely owe it to you. You'd asked months ago and I never got back to you, I apologize for that, things have been very busy and I haven't been on the site much since then. If you still want the code let me know.

Its not perfect and could use some improvements but it's kept the system running pretty well.

thanks, Aaron

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. twofer

twofer New Member

Loc:
    SLP Michigan
    I just ordered a K type thermocouple and thermocouple amplifier to hook up to my Arduino.
  3. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I think you're pretty much limited to thermocouples. I use a stainless jacketed Type K probe style. Requires a thermocouple amplifier. Omega and others sell them....

Attached Files:

4. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    I installed a K-type 1292F probe about a week ago ($15 +/- on ebay) and plugged it into my digital K-type thermometer -- the Arduino comes later. For the non-Arduino crowd, use a 9VDC transformer power supply and eliminate the battery from the thermometer, so it's "on" whenever the boiler is "on." The probe went in the same hole the old magnetic probe used; also re-used the circular magnet and pressure fit the probe through a small piece of sheet metal, then through the magnet with the sheet metal holding the probe to the magnet, and the magnet to the flue. The benefit, besides much greater accuracy, is quick response and feedback to boiler burn performance. The old magnetic probe was very slow in response.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.