Stack temps with a barometric draft control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
First off I don't have a way to mearure my smoke stack temp. Only by touch. I have Yukon Big Jack wood furnace. My barometric draft control is located about 18" fom the hole going to a outside chimmey. The owners manunal calls a300deg. temp for the stack. A lot of times it does not seem this hot, like when the fire dying down.Plus on the pipe cools down some after the daft control.

The one thing that I think I might have done wrong is I use a T peice of pipe to put the draft control in. Looking at the instuction they cut a hole in the pipe it self.

I have to clean my smoke pipie at lest once a month. Does this seem nomal. The chimney clean said it all looked but don't have much faith in him.

The barometric damper can and will lower stack temps, By letting in air. The way that they work is if there is too much draft, then it will open and help control the draft. When it does this it adds cool air to the stack. This doesn't help anything and if the furnace isn't burning quite efficient or clean, creasote can accumulate around the opening of the damper. Having a tee to install the damper is the way to do it. Its how mine is installed. If you get a stack temp thermometer, place it before the damper. As far as once a month cleaning, they should be cleaned different for each system. If its burnt hot enough you shouldn't have to sweep the flue so often. I would get a stack thermometer and keep the furnace burning hotter. You will find more heat and a cleaner chimney and flue.

Thank you for the info that's what I needed to know.

One other thing about keeping the stack temp up. You load the wood into the stove the Temp goes up, but it will allway go down as wood burns away. I've burn smaller hotter fire so far this year that makes it go up and down more.

Status
Not open for further replies.