stacking wet wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmmmm

Jul 6, 2007
Some I split and some is still round but after being rained on and now snowed on, do you think I should go ahead and stack it or wait for a few nice days to let it dry a bit before stacking?

I would stack it when time is convenient for you. That said, if it doesnt matter I would probably wait until it air drys first which wont be long after the rain stops

This is next years wood we're talking about,here? Either way, Thats WHY we stack wood-so it will dry. Stack it up, cover it , and go about your merry way. Mother Nature will take care of the rest. ;-P

Got Wood said:
I would stack it when time is convenient for you. That said, if it doesnt matter I would probably wait until it air drys first which wont be long after the rain stops

I agree. Last spring I cut my wood off of a area I was digging gravel out of. Since I was busy with my gravel hauling project I just dumped the rounds in a pile and didn't get around to borrowing a splitter and splitting it until july. It didn't dry much at all and was moldy. I just cut another 2-3 cords off of the pit. But even thought I had other things I needed to do this time I stacked the rounds. I really did not want to stack it then split it to stack it again but I feel it was worth the time.

Billy

Either have a good pair of gloves to wear or wait until it dries a bit. The problem is that it will dry on top but as soon as you get that top layer off the wood underneath is still wet. So you'd have to stack a little and wait. The next day stack a little more. Or maybe stack twice per day. Simple though just to go ahead and stack it right away.

KFDiesel said:
Some I split and some is still round but after being rained on and now snowed on, do you think I should go ahead and stack it or wait for a few nice days to let it dry a bit before stacking?

Another aspect:
My general tactic with wood for next year or beyond:
Pile double-length rounds in yard. (16" to be worked down to 8" later)
Split to halves or quarters to expose wood for drying; pile loosely in paved area. (IOW not in contact with ground- OF IMMEDIATE IMPORT TO YOU.)
Split to final size and pile loosely.
Buzz with cheapie tablesaw to 8" and stack.

Either can be done as batches as material and time are available.
It's good to have some available in progress for winter days when you need a workout.

CTYank, that is an interesting way to handle wood. Why cut down to 8"? Also, why not split to final size right off? It seems like you might be causing yourself a lot of extra work there. In addition, the smaller stuff will cause hotter fires and shorter burns. Not so good for nights.

I wait until its dry. It makes the stacking process a lot more pleasant. Getting it split is the big thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.