Stacking wood at the wrong time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when I am around, they only seem to want to feed on me!

My place is windy enough that I cant rember ever being bit by one..guess that winds good for somthing. wish I could afford a wind gen.

What a difference a day makes. There was rain, snow, and ice pellets falling today. I'm sure the skeeters won't be happy next week when it dips below freezing.

We're dealing with a chilly spell of over a week now. It's a complete change from February/early March. Usually our weather moves east eventually, so this is just a heads up to not put away the sweatshirts and sweaters quite yet.

Have my window screens ready to go in. Still kinda cool here on the coast. Was down at the boat yesterday for a few hours, had a few beers and glad I brought the sweatshirt. After burning 24/7 this winter I think I acclimated myself to a higher temp so now anything under 75 gives me a chill haha!

Dennis . . . or anyone with experience . . . how do the Thermacells work on black flies . . . assuming you guys get the black flies like we have here in Maine . . . itty bitty black things that swarm you and get in your mouth, eyes, ears, nose, etc. and bite the heck out of you . . . they come out in the Spring, live for three weeks and then thankfully die off . . . it is the worse part of living here in Maine . . . and I am always looking for a solution other than walking around for several weeks with a bug net on my head . . . or staying inside for those three or four weeks until the die off happens.

Jake, we don't have them really bad here except for about that 2-3 week period. So far it has worked well for me but to be honest I've only used it a couple times when the black flies were bad. However, I loaned mine to a fellow who went bear hunting in Canada (Spring) and he fell in love with it. Said he could sit out all day if necessary. So, I'd say it works!

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, we don't have them really bad here except for about that 2-3 week period. So far it has worked well for me but to be honest I've only used it a couple times when the black flies were bad. However, I loaned mine to a fellow who went bear hunting in Canada (Spring) and he fell in love with it. Said he could sit out all day if necessary. So, I'd say it works!

Hmmm . . . I may have to look into these things and try them out.

smokinjay said:
I have a 21x21 concrete slab its almost stack the whole slab

Can we see the pictures? Please? :)

Finished my splitting and stacking in a T-shirt on Saturday. No skeeters yet, but checking on that thermacell thing, sounds too good to be true.
It is spring here - rains like crazy for a few hours, then the sun comes out so the humidity can shoot up to 80% or so.
Cut, split and stacked almost 13 cords this winter. Burned 6 the first year, 8 last year (cold!!). If we get a normal winter next year, I'll finally be a year ahead. It's hard to get a year ahead! I've been so busy trying to get the wood finished for the year, I haven't posted for weeks - I'm behind on my forum reading.

maplewood said:
smokinjay said:
I have a 21x21 concrete slab its almost stack the whole slab

Can we see the pictures? Please? :)

21 ft long 4.5 high

Attachments

• resize wood stack.jpg
    resize wood stack.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 186
Jay, now I'm going to have to come down there and show you how to stack wood! lol Just think of all the dollars you have there in t-posts.

Wood-2009c.gif

Woodcovered.gif

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, we usually buy one refill pack (4 refills) per year.

Each cartridge lasts 12 hours. You get 3 mats with each cartridge that so each one will last 4 hours.

These things are fantastic!

Yes they are! Been using them for years down here, no smell (I use while deer huntng early season, have not spooked a deer while using one yet) they are REQUIRED for hunting Turkeys in the hardwood hamocks.

I would get very little done around the yard during the summer after work without one.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, now I'm going to have to come down there and show you how to stack wood! lol Just think of all the dollars you have there in t-posts.

Wood-2009c.gif

Woodcovered.gif

lol but my stacks are much titer!

But Jay, tight means the air can't flow through. Oh wait, that was titer... Gotcha!

Backwoods Savage said:
But Jay, tight means the air can't flow through. Oh wait, that was titer... Gotcha!

lol Mine was all cut last spring and are winds are high full sun and great drainage should be better than 10 cords when done.. put # 8 rowe on there today I know the rowes have to be over a cord 21' long 4.5 hi at least and 18 in. wide

Backwoods Savage said:
Disco, I do know that Newberry had mid 70's as did Ironwood but I think that was the highs there.

Fire warnings are also in MIchigan.

My neighbor across the street is at his place on Torch Lake right now and he said its crazy dry up North!

Even Gaylord didn't get the snow that is normal.

Its going to be a hot :coolsmile: one?

Yep, not much snow compared to last year. REALLY dry up here, but started raining, and hasn't stopped for a couple days now. Thunderstorms tonight. Boom!
The grass is actually starting to turn green.

PapaDave said:
Yep, not much snow compared to last year. REALLY dry up here, but started raining, and hasn't stopped for a couple days now. Thunderstorms tonight. Boom!
The grass is actually starting to turn green.

We have had rain the last two days and the grass is getting really green.....oh what a nice feeling! :)

Winter wasn't that bad here in D-toilet like the last 2.... :eek:hh:

Hiram, I saw a tornado warning moving across the state down your way yesterday. It must not have touched down though. We got some heavy rain from those big clouds but that is all. Distant thunder too. It really looked wicked watching the radar while it moved from west to east.

Howdy Dennis

Thanks for the tip on the Thermacell I'll have to try it out. I was up at the farm in the UP last weekend. There weren't many skeeters and no black flies yet. It got up into the mid 70's saturday before it started raining about 4 pm. I was nice cutting sunday but I have no idea how much we cut as we left it where we cut it. The frost is just about completely out of the ground now. But its soft and muddy getting to where we were cutting. But we had a lot of fun!

Billy

Billy, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it! Now if they would only work on the wood ticks...

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, I saw a tornado warning moving across the state down your way yesterday. It must not have touched down though. We got some heavy rain from those big clouds but that is all. Distant thunder too. It really looked wicked watching the radar while it moved from west to east.

No kidding?

We had "chick pea" sized hail and heavy rain!

Today its been raining lightly and this afternoon its supposed to dump on us!

April showers..... :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.