Stages of burning wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still thinking that there is an air inlet somewhere on the front?

Its an EPA stove correct?

The 30 has holes in the bottom front of the stove, but that does not mean thats where yours will be (its not in the legs, its behind the legs, but on the firebox itself).

Can you sweep the ashes away from the front of the box and post a pic? I am almost positive there is something there?

The Mag is a pretty decent sized stove. Loaded properly, it should kick the heat and glow red if not watched.
I just went and run my hand all over the front bottom of the stove no air inlets.
Okey Dokey...then we also give stove installation and operation and wood processing/seasoning a rest, as well? Codes? The environment? How about everything we've learned over the years about safe, effective, efficient woodburning to keep our families warm AND SAFE at the same time. Should we give that all a rest? I'm sure the chimney/flue you're talking about was clean as a whistle after 20-some years of burning. They're not all found to be quite that way.

View attachment 85316 View attachment 85317
Wow i thought i had seen soot problems...

The Mag has to be a hot burning heater if it needs to be. A member here that had one burned the sucker so hot I can't believe it didn't melt down. Yeah. I am talking to you Bill. >>
Maybe it is me then.

Did he warp the baffle?

Don't know. He wanted the stove to fail from the get go. But a mild steel baffle is gonna warp sooner or later. Mine in my old pre-EPA stove was removable and every three or four years I used a floor jack to straighten it enough to get it out and get the local iron works to make me a new one.

But don't worry about something that hasn't happened. Learn to get the most out of that Mag and deal with problems if they ever happen. Which probably won't happen. The 30-NC isn't magic. It is just a big ole steel wood stove. So is the Mag.

Learn to love yer wood stove. :)

I will be honest i can get the heat pumping out of it but getting the fire lit and the burn times is what i don't like about it.

One more thing to add is that it is so unpredictable.

Okey Dokey...then we also give stove installation and operation and wood processing/seasoning a rest, as well? Codes? The environment? How about everything we've learned over the years about safe, effective, efficient woodburning to keep our families warm AND SAFE at the same time. Should we give that all a rest? I'm sure the chimney/flue you're talking about was clean as a whistle after 20-some years of burning. They're not all found to be quite that way.

View attachment 85316 View attachment 85317

Okay, easy cowboy! Nobody is suggesting not being safe or following codes. I for one go above and beyond code. I'mm 95% deep into a brand new install, and I'm not following "code", I'm gouing beyond it to be safe, where I don't think the code is affective enough.

What i'm saying is, all I hear around here is creostoe this, creosote that, ... don't burn pine, god forbid, it's got creostoe! And my own personal experience has never seen creosote. I've nver had a stove before, but I've always had fireplaces and almost all my neighbors have stoves, and friends/relatives have had them over the years. Not one of them have ever had any kind of creosote issue. I'm not saying it doens't happen or can't, but it just doesn't seem so prevalent that this site, or the "chimney sweeps" would want you to think.

Just trying to keep it real.

And having gone up one month and looked and saw mine like the first pic and the next month it was nothing but a wisp of soot I know how it got that way. <>

How many fires can a chimney take?

Newer epa stoves ..especially cat stoves will produce creosote near the top of the chimney.
For sure the screen on the cap.
It does not bother me one bit to see people warning about creosote.
I burn decent wood and after a season my screen is really dirty..never did that with the smoke dragon Bk I used to have.
Now I clean the cap halfway through the season when the conditions permit.

Hey Bart, So If I look at my chimney cap and it looks clean can I use this as a way to monitor how the liner looks inside the chimney? No clogging and clean = clean liner,,,, Dirty clogged cap = better get butt up there and sweep the chimney. My chimney cap is always pretty clean.

Okay, easy cowboy! Nobody is suggesting not being safe or following codes. I for one go above and beyond code. I'mm 95% deep into a brand new install, and I'm not following "code", I'm gouing beyond it to be safe, where I don't think the code is affective enough.

What i'm saying is, all I hear around here is creostoe this, creosote that, ... don't burn pine, god forbid, it's got creostoe! And my own personal experience has never seen creosote. I've nver had a stove before, but I've always had fireplaces and almost all my neighbors have stoves, and friends/relatives have had them over the years. Not one of them have ever had any kind of creosote issue. I'm not saying it doens't happen or can't, but it just doesn't seem so prevalent that this site, or the "chimney sweeps" would want you to think.

Ummmm . . . as mentioned earlier there is a big difference between fireplaces and woodstoves . . . up here far, far more folks use woodstoves vs. fireplaces and creosote gunking up the chimneys has been and most likely will continue to be a real issue leading to chimney fires. In terms of fires involving wood burning appliances I would guess that we go to more chimney fires caused by creosote build up from choking down fires, not cleaning, burning unseasoned wood, etc. than any other type of fire involving wood burning appliances . . . but luckily the fires are typically contained to the point of origin (i.e. the chimney). Trust me . . . it is as common an issue as you would think . . . perhaps the friends and neighbors are practicing good burning practices . . . or are just lucky.

Also . . . other than newbies coming on to ask if it is OK to burn pine because they've heard you should not . . . I have yet to hear any long time members here state that burning pine has creosote . . . truth of the matter is any wood can cause creosote in the chimney . . . if you don't run the stove at the proper temp, suffocate the fire or burn the wood green.

Final thought . . . kudos to going above and beyond the code . . . that is never a bad idea in my mind . . . especially when it comes to protecting your loved ones.

[quote="corey21, post I just went and run my hand all over the front bottom of the stove no air inlets..[/quote]
I think your inlet should be on the back of the stove and is run under the stove to the front.

Metal Chimney caps get really cold in the winter, makes for nice condensation of smoke gases on them , thats what they call creosote.

Metal Chimney caps get really cold in the winter, makes for nice condensation of smoke gases on them , thats what they call creosote.
My cap is dirty but not bad like some of the pics on here.

perhaps the friends and neighbors are practicing good burning practices . . . or are just lucky.

I'll go with LUCKY for $50 Alex! :)

New

That makes sense. I live on the water, in a very humid area, prolly just jinxed myself! I'll postying a pic similar to the above cap covered in gooo shortly I'm sure! ;)

Hey Bart, So If I look at my chimney cap and it looks clean can I use this as a way to monitor how the liner looks inside the chimney? No clogging and clean = clean liner,,,, Dirty clogged cap = better get butt up there and sweep the chimney. My chimney cap is always pretty clean.

GREAT question! ? Are there any external signs to look for without looking up or down the actual chimney?

GREAT question! ? Are there any external signs to look for without looking up or down the actual chimney?[/quote]

I am wondering the same thing.

Maybe looking at the cap would tell us something.

Thats whats so goo about the insulated flues is that the exhaust gases stay warmer all the way up and out of the flue and will not condensate as bad at the top of the flue where it gets colder from the outside weather.

Years ago, I had a "chia-pet" that looked something like that!!!

What would you know your a Dorkweed!!!!! ;lol

Ok I am kidding is that your real name?

Thats whats so goo about the insulated flues is that the exhaust gases stay warmer all the way up and out of the flue and will not condensate as bad at the top of the flue where it gets colder from the outside weather.

Yeah i find that i get more soot in the single wall pipe then the chimney its self.

Try and go 20 yrs without cleaning the flue on your Progress. Depending in your fuel supply this year (anything.you cut this year, probably not up to snuff for that stove) try going the entire season without cleaning.

Never heard anyone (regular) here say Not to burn Pine? Most people here burn pine. Its the Newbs that don't burn it and also the newbs that dont clean there chimneys.

For the record. I clean about once a month. Dont really need to. But my families safety is EVERYTHING.

Everyone is different. But i suggest you stick with majority here and clean your flue. Your Progress is a fine stove. But with bad technique and poor wood supply, it will gunk the cat and flue rather quickly.

No worries, I won't be burning sandy wood for years. I've got a bunch of really old wood I just inherrited... 10 year old cedar and oak. And a cord of 3 year oak, I'm good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.