stainless chimney liner with lots of tar creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coreystaf

Aug 3, 2008
Southwest CO
Hey everyone. I went to sweep a chimney today and I need some help. The current chimney liner is a stainless 7" liner that someone decided to put into an old triple-wall insulated chimney pipe. It all seemed pretty secure and the original chimney met all clearances so I think it should be ok except where the liner tops out it is un-insulated and may tend to collect more junk. Never the less, the liner had about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of raw creosote most of the way thru (two story cabin, +-20 feet). I've used the stage 3 creosote spray, but only in masonry chimneys, I wasn't sure how it would affect the metal chimney, and was more concerned with how the black pipe would have handled it when it ran down that far. Not sure about which mechanical method would be best so as not to scratch the stainless too badly. Any ideas?

Corey,

a couple of warning signs there. a liner installed inside air-insulated triple wall chimney is not a good idea unless it is done in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. It sounds like maybe someone is venting an older stove thru an old pre-existing chimney. You can have clearance issues with these that are not readily seen. I haven't used the stage three remover in some time, but I'd hesitate to use it in this situation, might be a little messy. PM me if you'd like.

blackgooseJT

Status
Not open for further replies.