Stainless or Galvanized

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Jul 21, 2006
WNY
Hi all, I'm getting my wood stove and chimney installed next week. I have to choose between Stainless or Galvanized Chimney, I believe it is Simpson DuraTech brand.

Any recommendations will the Galvanized rust over time?. There is about a $500 deference between the two with Stainless being more. I like the look of stainless, but the chimney will be on the back side of the house and the majority of it not visible.

Any info from anyone who has the Galvanized would be great.

Thank You.

Any chimney system that uses a wrapped ceramic blanket for insulation (Dura Tech does) will be less prone to corrosion than one that uses solid pack insulation. I would save the money and use the galvanized. If the look bothers you or you want some more protection there are number of good chimney spray paints available.

Thanks for the info. I was reading more on the construction Material used.

Construction Material: Inner wall of .020" 430 stainless steel, Outer wall .021" galvalume steel, With a Thermal Tech blanket insulation encased between duel walls

the galvanized stuff is really intended for use inside the house, stainless outside. The outer wall of the galvy will pit and rust w/in 5 yrs. if you are chasing the chimney in, the use galvy, cause there is no sense to use the stainless if it never gets wet. But, if it is exposed to the elements, use stainless. If you are still dead set on galvy outside, paint it heavilly w/ rutland hi temp chimney paint every year or so.

I work with hot dip galvanized steel. Galv will be extremely durable. ALL the communication towers are made of galv steel. All of them.

On my house, I used SS only because of its visibility. I drive up and see it each and every time. You won't go wrong with galv.

$500 savings is huge. You can use that for some wood splitting "toys". New saw...save up for a splitter.....just a thought.

I used the galvinized for the section inside the attic, stainless steel for outside.
Are you sure about a $500 diffrence? The diffrence between a 4' section of galv and stainless is about $22.
Corrrect me if I am wrong but, I figure you chimney would have to be 90 feet high for you save $500.

WES999 said:
I used the galvinized for the section inside the attic, stainless steel for outside.
Are you sure about a $500 diffrence? The diffrence between a 4' section of galv and stainless is about $22.
Corrrect me if I am wrong but, I figure you chimney would have to be 90 feet high for you save $500.

No.. Actually it’s much less than that. When my stove dealer originally came to my house for an estimate he asked what I would prefer for the chimney Galvanized or Stainless, I asked him what the difference was and he said other than looks the price was more for stainless and off the top of his head came up with around $500. So picket the Galvanized and that’s what he calculated.

Yesterday evening I contacted him and asked him actually calculate the difference and give me a price on all stainless, he called back about an hour latter with a total difference of $217.00 so I told him to change my order to all Stainless.

Greg123 said:
WES999 said:

No.. Actually it’s much less than that. When my stove dealer originally came to my house for an estimate he asked what I would prefer for the chimney Galvanized or Stainless, I asked him what the difference was and he said other than looks the price was more for stainless and off the top of his head came up with around $500. So picket the Galvanized and that’s what he calculated.

Yesterday evening I contacted him and asked him actually calculate the difference and give me a price on all stainless, he called back about an hour latter with a total difference of $217.00 so I told him to change my order to all Stainless.

Good call.

I know its apples and oranges but with my pellet / corn stove I used good old simpson P-Vent, just like the manual says. I know the mantra" corn only stainless" but guess what thats what the manufacturer says so it was real cheap and easy to replace so I used it. I put it in on Dec 04 and to date there is only one little bit of corrosion noticed. I take it down for the summer every year but it is up most of the time and the sections don't even fight with a little never seize on them. All the corrosion is on the top near where the corn fallout comes out. I just paint that. The rest isn't showing any problem at all and what I burn is a lot more corrosive than the wood you will burn. I think galvanized gets a bad rep for whatever reason but also noticed a lot of stainless headaches in the past few years posted on ther net with corn as well. For me Galvanized is just fine though I can access and work on all mine myself as needed.

jj3500 said:
I work with hot dip galvanized steel. Galv will be extremely durable. ALL the communication towers are made of galv steel. All of them.

On my house, I used SS only because of its visibility. I drive up and see it each and every time. You won't go wrong with galv.

$500 savings is huge. You can use that for some wood splitting "toys". New saw...save up for a splitter.....just a thought.

i bet those towers are made of a little bit thicker galvy steel than the 24 or 26 gauge that the outer wall of his pipe is made of....

Status
Not open for further replies.