1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Standard cleaning procedure?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by AddictiveStew, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AddictiveStew

AddictiveStew Member

Loc:
    PA
    Forgive my ignorance, but is there a standard cleaning procedure for pellet stoves? I searched the forum and was unable to come up with anything conclusive. I'm assuming just get a brush in wherever you can, drink a beer, hook up a leaf blower, drink a beer, and viola? :) I'm getting my stove installed in the next few weeks and I want to give her a good scrub down before she's sitting in her final resting place. Thanks all! ::-)
    Defiant likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Do you have this PDF manual? Page 13 outlines maintenance on your harman.
    Defiant likes this.
  3. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    You got the 1st 2 steps down perfectly:cool:
    Defiant, AddictiveStew and Xena like this.
  4. doingitonadime

doingitonadime New Member

Loc:
    shelton,ct
    Sounds to me Ur almost set u may have missed a fee beers in your procedure but definetly off to a great start
    Defiant and will711 like this.
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Harman's website has cleaning procedures for many units & yours may fall under one of them:

http://www.harmanstoves.com/en/Customer-Care/Cleaning-Instructions.aspx

I turn the Temp knob to OFF & the feed knob to TEST, once the unit has cooled down to the point where I'm not gonna burn my finners, I start from the top & work towards the bottom. I remove the door, the firebrick(s), & the flame guide & scrapre & brush everything above the burnpot. Then I brush the crap that's accumulated on the side shelves into the ash pan. Dump the ashpan & brush it & set it aside. Remove the igniter cover & clean under the burnpot & with a piece of wire, clear all the air holes. Scrape & brush everything UNDER the burnpot, but be CAREFUL near the fan blades. Vacuum everything up & unplug the unit. Remove a rear shroud & pull the ESP. Clean it with the same stuff you use on the glass. Remove the feeder cover & slide plate & clean that area. Remove the fan shroud & brush the vent from inside the stove into the pellet vent pipe. Clean the fan blades. Brush the remainder of the vent & if inclined, hook up your leaf blower. When you're satisfied that everything is done, replace the ESP, slider plate, feeder mech cover, rear shroud, fan shroud, ignitor cover plate, firebrcks & door. Don't think I missed anything...HTH
    AddictiveStew likes this.
  6. AddictiveStew

AddictiveStew Member

Loc:
    PA
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
    will711 likes this.
  7. will711

will711 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pocono mts.
    Ask and you shall receive ;) Bob knows his stuff:)
    Now repeat steps 1 & 2 ;)
    AddictiveStew, Defiant and DAKSY like this.
  8. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Over and over again;)
    AddictiveStew and will711 like this.
  9. Hoot23

Hoot23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alfred, Me
    Turn the vac on and leave it running and see how long it takes for the wife and kids to groan about it. That's the game I like to play when I'm cleaning. Even when I go outside or downstairs to get something I leave it on.
    AddictiveStew likes this.