Start up times in an Jotul 550 insert that's bigger than I'm used to

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Just started real fires in my new Jotul 550. My old insert was a Napoleon 1101. My question is about start up techniques ( that don't use blow torches).

When I started fires before I used maple twigs( that I cut up when our maples were trimmed last year) with two pieces of fat wood and two pieces of split pine - about 3" wedges -and a square of Rutland's firestarter broken into pieces ( I like them better than newspaper and we don't get a paper). Once those were going I'd throw on a small split of hard wood. Once that was going I'd throw on more logs and the temp. would rise into the 300*-400* zone somewhat quickly.

Using that same technique with the Jotul I am noticing it takes a lot longer to get the temp. up. I am using a Rutland therm. placed on the door right above the handle.

I figure this is normal because this insert is HUGE in comparison and has a lot more cast iron to heat up.

My concern is that since it takes longer to heat up I'm assuming more creosote is being deposited in the liner. I know that is normal and burns off as soon as temps. rise and I can see it happening on the fire bricks in the stove. I just get paranoid about creosote and like it gone as soon as possible without the help of a chimney fire.

So my question is: Should I add more pine in the beginning since it catches really quickly getting the temps up faster? Or should I just relax and let this unit do it's thing in it's own time?

The temp. on the door reads 300* now and the bricks are clear but I know the fire in there is a lot hotter than that and in my Napoleon it would be registering at about 500*.

This is just an observation, But I think ppl around here worry TOO much about creosote. While I realize that creosote can be a problem, how many folks burn wood with total disregard to temps and how often do you hear about chimney fires. Get a hot fire in there and things will be fine.

I suggest you use more kindling to get the chimney hot and get a coal base before you put too many splits in. Try the top down method, my stove calls for 5 pounds of kindling in the manual, that's a lot of twigs. Also Super Cedars are a fine product.

Show me a single stove manual that endorses this practice. Most warn against it and it will void the stove warranty. It's irresponsible to suggest this to a new wood burner, stop it.

super ceders

Pook- Anything that has the capacity to go BOOM anywhere near me is something I avoid. I am in the midst of raising teenagers and it's about all the extra excitement my well used nervous system can handle at this point in my life.

I get nervous around fire crackers that aren't even lit. :ahhh:

Pook said:
pellets are a dry convenient source of kindling.
i put newspaper in my palm,pour a cup of pellets & sautee with k2. insert in stove & add crumpled newspaper on fire on top.
k2 vapors are the danger because if vapors build up & then ignite= BOOM! The roof is blown off!
with my method the vapor is not present & well, it works!

Thanks for this info. I have upped my kindling and it is making a big difference. I am also splitting it into smaller pieces so I can get a layer thing going.

I tried the top down method in my old insert without much luck. ie. It took a lot longer for my fire to get going that way.

Once I get more of a handle on my usual start up method with this unit I will try it again. I'm just afraid of it smoldering and sending out lots of smoke. Don't want to get my new fireplace gloves messed up by running through the house with burning logs. My lungs are also recovering from the curing fumes and I don't want to get them really aggravated with me with clouds of smoke :vampire:
Smokey said:
I suggest you use more kindling to get the chimney hot and get a coal base before you put too many splits in. Try the top down method, my stove calls for 5 pounds of kindling in the manual, that's a lot of twigs. Also Super Cedars are a fine product.

Pellets sound a lot more feasible to me. Even just reading that suggestion made my heart beat slow down ;-)

Pook said:
perplexed said:
Pook- Anything that has the capacity to go BOOM anywhere near me is something I avoid. I am in the midst of raising teenagers and it's about all the extra excitement my well used nervous system can handle at this point in my life.

I get nervous around fire crackers that aren't even lit. :ahhh:

Pook said:
pellets are a dry convenient source of kindling.
i put newspaper in my palm,pour a cup of pellets & sautee with k2. insert in stove & add crumpled newspaper on fire on top.
k2 vapors are the danger because if vapors build up & then ignite= BOOM! The roof is blown off!
with my method the vapor is not present & well, it works!
sorry, still the pellets alone are a good&dry;source of kindling & they wont neverever go BOOM! good luck

I would definitely agree with the other posters, kerosene, and any other form of liquid firestarter stuff is something to avoid... Pook, you are free to blow yourself up, but please don't advise others to do so!

What I would advise is experimenting with different techniques to see what works best for you. What I found works best for me in both my old stove and my VC is to do a layered approach with some newspaper, a few handfuls of splitter trash (wood chips bark and saw dust from processing my wood) 4-5 kindling size sticks (~1-2") followed by a bunch of small to medium sized splits to fill the firebox to the max. Light the bottom paper and close the door with maximum air on, and then cut it back as things get going.

With the VC Encore, which is a top loader, I find it can be a challenge once I've got the firebox stuffed to reach down and get a light on the paper at the bottom, so I've started doing a hybrid top-down / bottom-up approach. I do the same basic structure, but with less paper on the bottom, mostly just enough to cover the holes in the grate, then the splitter trash, small sticks, and small to medium splits until the firebox is stuffed, then throw another sheet or two of paper on the top, along with another handful of splitter trash, leaving just enough room to get the lid closed. I then light the top paper in a few places and close the lid, but have the air open to the max. The paper on top gets the splitter trash going, which gets the top wood started, but more importantly, drops a bunch of flaming debris down the sides of the firebox and into the middle of the pile of splits, and gets the stuff on the bottom going - I end up with the firebox fully engulfed and ready to start cutting the air back in less than 10-15 minutes, at which time it's sending flames up the chimney, burning off the creosote it might have just deposited. I then start cutting the air back, give it another few minutes, and kick in the cat...

Of course I've only done this a few times, since the stove is only going to go out if we will be gone for more than about 12-16 hours....

Gooserider

Thanks for the replies.

I agree I was being too stingy with the kindling.

Have been using more since I first posted this and things are heating up much more quickly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.