Starting a fire via the tunnel of love®

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is what I do now that I am burning E/W in the 30-NC. I use N/S to get a coal bed and then load E/W on top of the coal bed. For just a morning burn I use three splits the size BG used. Two on bottom and one cocked like that third one BG added with a hunk of Super Cedar under it and you get a nice fire with a small load.

I do a kind of tunnel burn with an E-W load in the Encore. I start by digging a trench through the ash bed and then place 2 big splits E-W, resulting in a tunnel under the front split into the fire. Then paper between the splits and kindling on top a-la BeGreens method. Works for me.

Am I the only one that doesn't use kindleing or little splits?

I just throw in a stove full of birch, stick a firestarter inbetween a few logs and that's it. Stove is cooking 15-20 mins later.
Many times I don't use kindling Nate. Just place 2 splits NS with an opposite layer and 1/4 SC between the 2 NS splits and off she goes.. Works very well and creates a red hot wind tunnel..

Ray

Am I the only one that doesn't use kindleing or little splits?

I just throw in a stove full of birch, stick a firestarter inbetween a few logs and that's it. Stove is cooking 15-20 mins later.

Not everyone has good dry wood they just think they do ;lol

Many times I don't use kindling Nate. Just place 2 splits NS with an opposite layer and 1/4 SC between the 2 NS splits and off she goes.. Works very well and creates a red hot wind tunnel..

Ray

Yes, that is how I started this morning's fire. In the Castine I found my best starts were with a pair of 10" long sleepers (2" diameter branches or kindling), laid N/S a few inches apart with a supercedar between them. This allows the doghouse air to get under the wood. Then stack some medium sized splits E/W on top of the sleepers and ignite.

Status
Not open for further replies.