Starting My Chimney Rebuild (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sauer said:
you should have told me you live on a lake. I know who Im visiting. I'll bring my musky gear with me.

Come on up. I'm not much of a Musky fisherman but Wissota is loaded with them. I catch lots of Walleye but nothing to brag about so far this year.

Finished up today, just have to clean up and stick my cap back on. Turned out real nice, glad I did it. Sticking my hand next to the crock I can feel a great draft.

Attachments

• 100_1510.jpg
    100_1510.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 249
  • 100_1509.jpg
    100_1509.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 231
It's beautiful, Todd. My hat's off to your mason for a job that appears in all respects to be exceptionally well done. If only all contractors did work like that. :smirk: Rick

Couple more pictures of the thimble and cleanout. I used a piece of 22 ga thats filled around the crock and cemented in with supaflue. I need to repaint that ugly ring collar. He also filled in and smoothed out the cleanout which use to be a mess of brick and blocks that leaked air.

Attachments

• 100_1511.jpg
    100_1511.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 100_1512.jpg
    100_1512.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 100_1514.jpg
    100_1514.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 219
Just went up and looked at the new crown and it has small cracking in a few places. Is this just from the curing? He did say he would be back to seal the crown later on.

Your mason's the guy to talk to about that, I'd say. The work has been so nice so far, I don't think he's gonna leave you in the lurch here. The cracking is probably a normal part of curing, and he undoubtedly has sealer/caulk to make everything OK. Rest easy, Todd. Rick

Todd,

Looking pretty good. I don't know about the cracks, but I should think they would be OK if they are filled and sealed.

Nice work,

Bill

Todd said:
Finished up today, just have to clean up and stick my cap back on. Turned out real nice, glad I did it. Sticking my hand next to the crock I can feel a great draft.

That's a lot of brick for a couple wussy flues. LOL Just kiddin Todd. It looks like a first class repair. Your stoves will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.