Starts On Saturday

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This Cherry dropped a bunch so on Saturday morning the work starts. I'm thinking a good cord (true) out of this, this would be nice to get this winter so we can plant another tree in the spring.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1092.jpg
    100_1092.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 599
  • 100_2643.jpg
    100_2643.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 626
  • 100_2644.jpg
    100_2644.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 616
  • 100_2645.jpg
    100_2645.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 620
  • 100_2646.jpg
    100_2646.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 612
Yup, lots of wood there for sure, have fun but be careful with that one

tfdchief & Pat53, it's a tricky one but it should be okay. Some cleaning up of the area first then take a good look at it again to see which way I'll start, pics on Saturday afternoon.

zap

Zap, I agree that should be fun cutting that one up. You have some bigger cherry trees than we do. This one is really nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I agree that should be fun cutting that one up. You have some bigger cherry trees than we do. This one is really nice.

The good thing Sav, it's not far from the house so I can get the GMC or the Rhino back close to the cutting area if needed. I'll do this like the Hemlock, v the top of the log then make my bottom cut so it should drop straight down or come back some.

zap

Have at it zap. I have a feeling you'll do fine. Just remember that Saturday is a special day!

Zap, do you ever slow down? Lol... I agree with sav on our cherry in these parts. I've seen a few biggies but most are what I would call "medium" . I split a trailer and truck load of mostly cherry yesterday, splits easy, although you don't get that nice perfect flat spots for making the crib ends in the stacks like oak does. Looking foward to some pics on Saturday. :)

wishlist said:
Zap, do you ever slow down? Lol... I agree with sav on our cherry in these parts. I've seen a few biggies but most are what I would call "medium" . I split a trailer and truck load of mostly cherry yesterday, splits easy, although you don't get that nice perfect flat spots for making the crib ends in the stacks like oak does. Looking foward to some pics on Saturday. :)

Just need more snow so we can do some cross country skiing but until we get it I'll grab more wood.

zap

Play a little of this when cutting that up! ;-)[youtube]http://youtu.be/LqFUEcM9wR0[/youtube]

Zap, you've always impressed me with your stacks, your property, and the downed trees you harvest but you said something that has impressed me more than anything else. You are getting it out so you can plant another tree! True conservation at it's finest.

fv

smokinjay, that songs bring back some smokey memories! :eek:hh:

fv, we have some smaller Cherry growing on certain areas of our property so we plan on transplanting, any suggestions?

Thanks
Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay, that songs bring back some smokey memories! :eek:hh:

fv, we have some smaller Cherry growing on certain areas of our property so we plan on transplanting, any suggestions?

Thanks
Zap

Very best time to transplant was last month. As cold as it gets there I probally wait till spring and water it a couple times when its dry.

That is a nice cherry. Lots of good straight branches. I've not seen many with 4 or more straight branches. Mine around here are usually on main trunk line that is twisty. That one is gonna make some nice firewood! Have fun!

Good Greif Zap your an animal you make woodchucks look lazy! Way to go man and send us some pics of your blurring around while the woodchucks try to catch up :exclaim:

Pete

Rather than planting I'd also look carefully for a volunteer cherry somewhere under the fallen tree. If you can find one that planted itself and you don't have to move it, it will not suffer any transplant shock and therefore will probably get larger faster than anything you can transplant. If you're transplanting why not find some acorns and heel them in? Red Oak acorns should not have sprouted yet so you can just toss them on the ground and push them in with your heel. White Oak acorns have probably sprouted a root already, but you can scoop out a little dirt with the acorn and the root and transplant. The advantage of White Oaks is that you'll know which acorns are viable. In either case, or if you decide to transplant a cherry, I'd plant several for each tree you want so in case you lose a few you'll still end up with the trees you want. You can transplant a cherry anytime, but it will be easiest to move them before they leaf out in the spring. After that you'll have to water more carefully.

Wood Duck said:
Rather than planting I'd also look carefully for a volunteer cherry somewhere under the fallen tree. If you can find one that planted itself and you don't have to move it, it will not suffer any transplant shock and therefore will probably get larger faster than anything you can transplant. If you're transplanting why not find some acorns and heel them in? Red Oak acorns should not have sprouted yet so you can just toss them on the ground and push them in with your heel. White Oak acorns have probably sprouted a root already, but you can scoop out a little dirt with the acorn and the root and transplant. The advantage of White Oaks is that you'll know which acorns are viable. In either case, or if you decide to transplant a cherry, I'd plant several for each tree you want so in case you lose a few you'll still end up with the trees you want. You can transplant a cherry anytime, but it will be easiest to move them before they leaf out in the spring. After that you'll have to water more carefully.

volunteer cherry, I like the idea Wood Duck. The Cherry transplant would be coming from some that are growing on one of the trails. I think come spring if I just raked the area we would have some nice white pine growing.

zap

Hard to tell the size, but a couple of those log sections look nice enough to do a little milling on. Around here when cherry trees get some size to them, most get infested with ants, and then the woodpeckers destroy them. Hard to find a good cherry tree worthy of milling anymore.

lukem said:
Hard to tell the size, but a couple of those log sections look nice enough to do a little milling on. Around here when cherry trees get some size to them, most get infested with ants, and then the woodpeckers destroy them. Hard to find a good cherry tree worthy of milling anymore.

Same around this area, if you do get a good Cherry Tree it's to small for milling.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Have at it zap. I have a feeling you'll do fine. Just remember that Saturday is a special day!

We have a plan Sav, about four hours of cutting that day.

zap

fireview2788 said:
Zap, you've always impressed me with your stacks, your property, and the downed trees you harvest but you said something that has impressed me more than anything else. You are getting it out so you can plant another tree! True conservation at it's finest.

fv
+1

tfdchief said:
fireview2788 said:

fv
+1

Looks like we have some freezing rain with snow coming in about 8:00 p.m. thru noon tomorrow, should be ok for cutting.

zap

zapny said:
tfdchief said:
fireview2788 said:

fv
+1

Looks like we have some freezing rain with snow coming in about 8:00 p.m. thru noon tomorrow, should be ok for cutting.

zap

Sounds like nasty cutting weather to me....I cut in some wet snow last weekend and it was miserable. You are more dedicated than I am.

If it's not safe enough then I'll call it off, the wood racks need filling besides. Looks like the whole weekend will be chitty.

zap

Always play it safe out there. Supposed to be really nice here this weekend, then get cold at the start of next week.

I'm done cutting for the year and have over a cord in the basement wood room. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my time now. I guess I'll get going on the honey-do list...

Have a great weekend and happy new year Zap.

Status
Not open for further replies.