State wood cutting areas? $10/cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I found a place within 20 miles. The State of Alaska opened an area to cut "personal use" firewood.
The permit cost is $10/cord.

I called the State Forester, he says
1. it is mostly good, standing, live birch. (have to salvage anything over 5" dia)
2. The road is a narrow logging road & is not maintained in the winter (don't plow the snow)
with few place to turn a trailer around.
3. Count on the easy stuff to be gone. Plan to carry it a ways but we can use ATVs (but no heavy equipment)

I figure for $10/cord, it may be worth a try. If I can get my trailer in there, I can un-hook & turn it around before loading it.
Having to carry it a long ways is "not do-able for me", but with my ATV, maybe I can cut the tree & skid the log next to the truck.

Logistics starts getting complicated though, haul the ATV & trailer in the wood hauling trailer.
Now, the ATV & trailer has to come back out, but truck & trailer are full of wood.

If I do it, I'd like to drive over there & check it out before buying the permit.
Trouble with that is you don't get a detailed map until you buy a permit.
Working on that problem, maybe the forester can give me a hint :)

** Cost estimates** (Gasoline here in Ak $3.55/gal)
Chain saw mix gas 1 gallon $5
Truck gas 4 gallon $14
ATV gas 2 gallon $7
permit 1/cord $10

Estimate $36/cord (rounds)

$$ To buy CSD birch from $200 - 250/cord

Having fun in the woods ;;;; Priceless.

What other states have these areas?

Once you get it sorted out let me know. Like I said on the PM, would be nice to find out the area to check if it's worth it.

982-3185 is my #. I bet 2 guys working together could pull out 2-3 cords in day without too much trouble.

They have the same permit on base, though the wood is already felled and limbed. Last winter I cut a cord or two for a friend (didn't have my stove last year). We had to pick through the piles to find birch and spruce since most of it was cottonwood.
I kept checking this summer and the only thing left was huge cottonwoods that no one could use. Would have needed close to a 3ft bar on a few to buck them. First time I seen them grow so big up here!

Close to me is the Wasatch National Forest, which allows harvesting for $5/cord. Soon as the spring thaw rolls around (and by spring I mean May/June up in the mountains) I am SO THERE.

~Rose

Spring is by far the WORSE time to cut wood since the sap is flowing like crazy. It should be cut toward late fall or winter when the trees are dormant.

bogydave said:

As a kid in upstate NY we used to cut on state land - no idea about fees.

Forest service and BLM lands in Colorado, price is up to 15 a cord. Three cord min. Two different types of permit, one for dead standing and then one for when they do clear cuts /fire mitigation cutting. harvester goes in, and lays down de-limbed tree length. 10 cord maximum. personal use only, no resale of wood.

$10/cord here, permit for a minimum of 2 cords. 5 cord maximum. The Forest Service posts locations and usually info about species at the current cutting area on their site. Only down trees by the road, they do the felling. I haven't done any cutting in the National Forest yet, since I've been able to scrounge enough, but I'm thinking of it as a backup plan if I have a lean scrounging year. It's too far to go unless I'm desperate, given that I'd be bringing home about 1/3 cord at a time. Might be fun excuse for spending some time in the woods sometime though.

I'm sooooo jealous. There is no land here on L.I. that you can legally harvest (or even scrounge,for that matter).

Firewood permits are free here in BC, in fact you can just download one off the internet. In order for it to be valid you are suppose to have read and signed it.
"Each applicant must read and understand the permit conditions prior to signing it. This permit is subject to the Forest and Range Practices Act and it's accompanying regulations. The Permittee must carry the Permit at all times and must produce the permit at the request of a Forest Officer/Official, Conservation Officer or a Peace Officer. The penalties for failing to produce a permit or for not adhering to the permit conditions include a $173.00 fine and/or seizure of the wood. "
It has a bunch of rules they want people to obey like cutting dead trees only, not cutting trees that are obvious habitat for animals, not using motorized vehicals to skid logs out of the bush, etc...
You can download one if you want, it doesn't say you have to be a resident of Canada to use it, although you may have some difficulty getting the wood across the border.
BC firewood permit

West Virginia University manages a forest that literally borders by neighborhood and I saw signs about getting a permit to get firewood. I have no idea of the specifics yet, but the roads/trails are only open at certain times of the year and I think that might be hunting season? I am not a hunter so I guess I would need some blaze orange clothing to go get some wood :) I am a bit nervous about bears, but at least they are only black bears. I grew up in the suburbs and I am only starting to get used to all the critters around here.

lfunk11 said:
West Virginia University manages a forest that literally borders by neighborhood and I saw signs about getting a permit to get firewood. I have no idea of the specifics yet, but the roads/trails are only open at certain times of the year and I think that might be hunting season? I am not a hunter so I guess I would need some blaze orange clothing to go get some wood :) I am a bit nervous about bears, but at least they are only black bears. I grew up in the suburbs and I am only starting to get used to all the critters around here.

As I told my wife the other night when she let out an ear-piercing shriek and insisted I run out on to the porch to get rid of a skunk . . . animals are more scared of you usually than you are of them . . . of course she said she didn't think that was possible since she was feeling pretty scared.

Incidentally, I also informed her that running out and yelling at the skunk on our back porch would be the absolute wrong thing to do . . . instead turned off the back light, kept the door shut and let Pepe wander away . . . the funny thing is . . . I think the skunk was hanging out with my Manx cat . . . which wouldn't be so surprising since he hangs out with all kinds of other critters and people.

lfunk11 said:

I would not worry too much about hunting season as long as you know a few things. I assume things in WV are similar to here in PA, with regard to hunting. I do not hesitate to go onto state game lands during hunting season with a few exceptions. First, I'd definitely get some blaze orange. It might even legally required on state land during hunting season, and definitely makes you more visible. A light vest is cheap and you can carry stuff in it. I go out running on game lands all through hunting season, but I don't go on saturday mornings or during the first week of rifle buck deer season. Those times are the busiest and most dangerous, although I am more worried about disturbing hunters than I am about getting shot. Here rifle season for bucks is by far the busiest time for hunting, and I think attracts the largest number of inexperienced and irresponsible hunters. I bet the same is true in WV, so avoid it. Small game season lasts a long time, but I don't think I have ever met a hunter while running trails or while hunting on one of the more accessible game lands in my area. There just aren't that many hunters. Archery season is also long, but again relatively few hunters here. So, 'hunting season' really boils down to buck deer season, which is only a couple of weeks long. Also, hunters are likely to go much farther into the woods than you are while cutting wood. You probably won't go 100 yards from your car unless you are really into carrying wood. Look for cars. If you see lots of parked cars and nobody around, it probably means hunters are in the area. I avoid those area to be courteous to hunters as well as to avoid the slight possibility of getting shot.

I should have added that bears seem unlikely to be a big problem for a wood cutter. Wood cutting makes a ton of noise, and bears are hunted so they avoid noisy people. Also you're near a road and the bears know where the roads are. if you do see a bear, I'd just leave the area unless you see the bear run off. Last week a bear knocked a deer hunter out of a tree near here. The hunter was injured, apparently more from the 15 ft fall than by the bear, but still it was a bear attack.

branchburner said:
bogydave said:

As a kid in upstate NY we used to cut on state land - no idea about fees.

from the DEC website

"Due to increased demand, firewood will be sold to applicants selected through a lottery system. Firewood can be purchased in volumes of three, five or ten cords for $15 per standard cord and is limited to a maximum of 10 cords per household.

A standard cord is a pile of firewood measuring 4'x4'x8' when cut and stacked. Firewood for sale is standing, live trees located off-road and will require a chainsaw and tractor or four-wheel drive truck for cutting, access and hauling. The trees available for cutting are marked by DEC foresters to ensure that only wood allocated for cutting for conservation reasons is taken. "

National Forest (Federal land) is 15/cord here, w/ a 2 cord minimum, 10 cord max, personal use only. Fun stuff. I still have 2 out of 8 "tickets" left of my 2 cord permit. Need to get out before the end of Nov when the season closes.

Dave, good luck on the permit and wood.

I cut wood on state land a few times and back then one only needed a permit, which was free. Now most stated do charge but it is minimal.

As for cutting during hunting season, one would also want to be aware that some states, like MI, have laws against harassing hunters. Cutting firewood with a chain saw could be taken as harassment so I would avoid doing it if at all possible. That said, not all areas have hunters, so you could just use your own judgment.

While black bears should run off, especially in areas where they are hunted, they are very dangerous and should be given full respect. Most bear attacks are from black bears.

I would be shocked if someone claimed hunter interference due to a wood harvest. When I lived in Maryland I used to bowhunt one of Baltimore City's reservoirs - actually liked having the wood harvesting crew around. Helped mask the noise I made getting to my stand and when they left the deer "thought" there was no longer anyone around.

Saturday is youth hunting day here and I will be out bucking some felled trees though this is on my property and there shouldn't be anyone hunting on it.

branchburner said:
bogydave said:

PA $10 a cord, 3 cord max, personal use only, felled trees only as well I believe.

didn't really think about it, but if i did see a bear at least I would have a chainsaw for protection :)

I need to go up there this weekend and see exactly when the road is open and then check it against the hunting season. I THINK its archery season here now? I also don't want to make any hunters mad by starting up the chainsaw. Is there a deer season for chainsaw hunters? Now that would be hunting...

I believe that any hunters, hunting in an area designated as a "wood cutting area",
know it & would not get upset if someone was in the area cutting wood.
Also, hunters, typically, hunt early am & evening hunting times.
Plus the deer are used to the daily noise & activity.

Just don't cut a tree down with a tree stand and/or hunter in it & you'll be fine. ;)

PS: ( lfunk, I grew up a few miles from Morgantown, Kingwood area. Great country & lots of hard woods
& good eating squirrels)

bogydave said:
I believe that any hunters, hunting in an area designated as a "wood cutting area",
know it & would not get upset if someone was in the area cutting wood.
Also, hunters, typically, hunt early am & evening hunting times.
Plus the deer are used to the daily noise & activity.

Just don't cut a tree down with a tree stand and/or hunter in it & you'll be fine. ;)

PS: ( lfunk, I grew up a few miles from Morgantown, Kingwood area. Great country & lots of hard woods
& good eating squirrels)
I have a forest service permit and cut all the time here in Tucker County...never had a problem with bears or hunters. $20 for the calendar year gets you up to 5 cords of anything down and dead. Well worth it...but then again there's 900,000 acres to choose from.

NATE379 said:
Spring is by far the WORSE time to cut wood since the sap is flowing like crazy. It should be cut toward late fall or winter when the trees are dormant.

Dadgummit, don't tell me that! It's COLD out there now! And I don't have anything to chop trees down with yet!

Oh well. Back to scrounging, I guess.

~Rose

Here in colorado (surrounding Colorado Springs) I got a permit last spring and it was $10 per cord, 10 cord min on a permit. So pretty much $100 get you all the wood you can pull out before the cut off.

Status
Not open for further replies.