Staying nice and toasty in here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john193

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2010
Southeast PA
We've had our Harman XXV for not even a month now and we are really glad we made the investment and switched over from our heat pump.

It's currently 14 out, with a wind chill factor of 3, the house is at 70 with the upstairs right around 65, heat pump off. Burning about a bag and a half a day at these conditions, it's supposed to be this cold all weekend.

john193 said:
We've had our Harman XXV for not even a month now and we are really glad we made the investment and switched over from our heat pump.

It's currently 14 out, with a wind chill factor of 3, the house is at 70 with the upstairs right around 65, heat pump off. Burning about a bag and a half a day at these conditions, it's supposed to be this cold all weekend.

Glad to hear you're nice & toasty. Since it's a pretty new install, maybe some pics if you haven't done that yet....we LOVE pics of new installs!

john193,

Congrates on the XXV install hope you enjoy it!

as macman say's we gotta see some picture's!

Glad you are toasty too!
jay

john193 said:

How cold was your house not even a month ago?

The heat pump is off b/c the cost per kilowatt hour here is around 13 cents (the recent electric caps in our area are lifted, rates went up 30%). Before the stove, we were running the heat pump at 68 when we are home and 63 when we weren't. Our average daily use was right around 100 to 130 kW, keep in mind this is when it's around 20 out...we have not used the heat pump since it's been in the teens. The jist of the story, and from what I hear, the heat pumps installed in the houses around my area are bottom of the barrel stuff. While we had out heat set at 68, it never felt warm, and the heat pump would be on for hours at a time (my backup is electric too).

Since the stove, we have had no need for the heat pump. We have a space heater that we seldom turn on in the bedroom, but that's about it. Our daily electric use is now around 15-20 kW. Using the heat pump, my daily usage would have translated to $350 to $400 a month for 2-3 months. So now, the house is around 70, and we burn about a bag and a half a day when it's 14 out...which translated to about $7.50 for heat/day. We typically average a bag a day, which is around $5.50, so basically I've cut my heating costs in half, while keeping a warmer house.

I'll try to have some pictures up as soon as possible.

Thanks for the welcome

Here is a picture of the stove...hope it worked!

This was the first day we had it fired up. I know...the base we have isn't the greatest and it's not exactly center, but we plan to redo it in the Spring. I also had it plugged up to my Kill-A-Watt reader and to those who may be curious, the XXV consumes about 400W during ignition and between 100W to 200W during normal operation (depending on blower speed and auger kicking in).

Attachments

• DSC00332.jpg
    DSC00332.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 236
Nice looking fire you have going there John. Thanks for the pic!

Oh, BTW, those wattage readings are almost the exact same as my Astoria used...400w on start-up, and approx. 180 during "normal" running.

Great looking stove and fire. I too am in the first year burning and not looking back.

Congratulations on the install !!!!

Welcome!
Very nice looking setup!
We too are warmer and oil usage, well from 900-1000 gal/yr
to 350-400 gal/yr. Still need hot water and a little help upstairs.

Enjoy the new stove!
Speaking of toasty: +2F outside right now and 72F inside. 1-1.5 bags/day

Status
Not open for further replies.