Steam or Smoke??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just need an opinion from the people in the know. I am going thru some wood that I question the dryness of right now. And of course I can not for the life of me remeber where I put my moisture meter (figures!). Anyway here are some pics of what I am seeing. 2 of them are what is coming out the chimney and one is the current fire at the time the chimney pics were taken. Disregard the build up on the glass, I don't remember the last time i cleaned it. Current temp outside at time of pics was -28 °C (-18.5 °F ) or 245 degrees Kelvin if you like.

I am thinking steam but want your opinions.

Thanks.

'bert

Attachments

• steam1web.jpg
    steam1web.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 733
  • smoke2web.jpg
    smoke2web.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 709
  • fireweb.jpg
    fireweb.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 782
Considering the outside air temp. and the 3rd. pic of the fire I vote ,steam also

What then, can I ask, would make the difference b/w smoke arising, and steam? Is it outside air temp., or moisture content of the burn?

I am a certified smoke reader (part of my job), if it's steam plume should dissipate to nothing and should start above the top of the stack. With your cap on top it's harder to tell. I agree with Lanning though, it looks more like a steam plume. On the other hand I have never read smoke in temps that low.

istockphoto_2549081-high-steam-plume-from-ethanol-plant-smokestack.jpg

Looking especially at that first picture, notice how easy it is to "see through" the "smoke." That usually says it is steam and not smoke. The next time you load the stove, go out and see what that smoke looks like. It will usually also be a bit darker if it is smoke.

Leadfoot said:
I am a certified smoke reader (part of my job), if it's steam plume should dissipate to nothing and should start above the top of the stack. With your cap on top it's harder to tell. I agree with Lanning though, it looks more like a steam plume. On the other hand I have never read smoke in temps that low.

istockphoto_2549081-high-steam-plume-from-ethanol-plant-smokestack.jpg

That pic your showing is some steam under high pressure if you will. Starts above the stack because its getting forced out

Good point on the "see through" , when my stove has that certain clear brightness I know I'm at peak performance .

Thanks for the reply's everyone. After a few Brain Enrichment & Everlasting Reasoning refreshments (sometimes abbreviated as BEER) I remembered that my moisture meter was in with my chainsaw sharpening tools from a visit I paid to a friends house. All wood being used is between 16 - 18% according to the meter, so I am sure it is steam. I guess it's the heighten awareness that has me double checking all my burning practices so as to get them as perfect as possible.

Have a great 2010 everyone.

'bert

ohio woodburner said:
That pic your showing is some steam under high pressure if you will. Starts above the stack because its getting forced out

*Technically*Steam is a transparent gas. The white plume is droplets of water vapor. You see the plume start away from the chimney because its at that point that the cold outside air has cooled it off enough to condense into vapor.

So I guess its possible to see vapor right at the stack outlet, but it would mean that the temperature of the gases is dropping below 212F before it exits the flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.