Steel catalytic combustor for a Blaze King Ultra.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is fair. What would change your confidence? And, the real question is why do you fail to have the confidence to begin with?

If I was in the market for a cat today, my confidence in the cats from the condar folks would be improved if Condar acknowledged the different types of steel cat, disclosed which type they offer, and then priced it accordingly. They are not experts in the cat field, they are resellers, think amazon. The experts are the guys that made the cats.

Based on information from a reputable source within the company that manufactured and tested my stove, I want durafoil and am willing to pay more for it. I'm not playing a game, not willing to buy a mystery cat. You reported that the condar folks won't even disclose the manufacturer of the cats they sell. That's a big red flag. Why should I trust them and gamble? I want to be an informed consumer.

I like condar a lot. I have spoken with them on the phone. My purchase history is several thermometers both stove top and flue probe. They claim to actually make those.

I burn, therefore I am.

Might as well bring in Descartes.

"Similarly, although I feel heat when I approach a fire and feel pain when I go too near, there is no good reason to think that something in the fire resembles the heat, or resembles the pain. There is merely reason to suppose that something or other in the fire causes feelings of heat or pain in us." - Rene Descartes, speaking about internet forums.

Anyways ...

has anybody figured out where to buy the good durafoil steel cats?

Other than your dealer? I've heard folks claim that Condar sells Durafoil SteelCats, but the Condar SteelCats I bought for my Jotuls were very clearly diesel foil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than your dealer? I've heard folks claim that Condar sells Durafoil SteelCats, but the Condar SteelCats I bought for my Jotuls were very clearly diesel foil.

Yes other than my dealer. I don't feel like paying the markup.

has anybody figured out where to buy the good durafoil steel cats?

The steelcat I ordered from Condar just arrived and it is Durafoil.

Everytime I thought my cat had died I came to realize I was burning less than seasoned wood. I put dry wood in and it acted like it was brand new again. Imagine that...

Everytime I thought my cat had died I came to realize I was burning less than seasoned wood. I put dry wood in and it acted like it was brand new again. Imagine that...
Two independent forces at work, here. A completely depleted cat can still reburn in non-cat fashion, if you keep it hot enough, it just can't do it at 450 or 500F. So, in your statement above, your observation is not conclusive proof of cat vitality, unless your saying it still stayed lit at low burn rates.

AND HAVE SUFFICIENT DRAFT TO ENCOURAGE COMBUSTION!
Two independent forces at work, here. A completely depleted cat can still reburn in non-cat fashion, if you keep it hot enough, it just can't do it at 450 or 500F. So, in your statement above, your observation is not conclusive proof of cat vitality, unless your saying it still stayed lit at low burn rates.

Reactions: Ashful

Not even a cat stove. The non-cat portion of that hybrid is strong.

Last edited:
Not even a cat stove. The non-cat portion of that hybrid is strong.

The cat still glows bright red like any other catalytic stove on a low burn. The low air settings do not yield any visible secondary activity.

Reactions: chance04
I just ordered a steelcat from condar. I wanted a backup since my princess is my only source of heat. I will post pics when I get it. Hopefully it's durafoil

Reactions: Dieselhead
The cat still glows bright red like any other catalytic stove on a low burn. The low air settings do not yield any visible secondary activity.
We don't have the cool alien tech knob but the IS will defiantly go full blackout with a glowing combustor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just ordered a steelcat from condar. I wanted a backup since my princess is my only source of heat. I will post pics when I get it. Hopefully it's durafoil

popc1.gif

Looks good! I notice the site says no gasket required, I imagine there is a lot of play without it that thermal expansion wouldn't make up for? Did you buy it from the condar site directly? I'm in the market for one.
Yeah I bought it directly from condar. I have not tried the fit, but Tarzan has and said it needed a gasket. His post about this is above yours. I bought it as a backup in case something happens to my ceramic one. I bought gasket material from firecatcombustors.com. They sell it by the foot and this is where blaze king buys their ceramic combustors from.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Hope no one gets mad for resurrecting this old thread. It's related to the problems I'm having with my Woodstock FIREVIEW.

The stove is about 6 years old. I bought it new. It came with a "Diesel Foil" catalytic combustor. The combustor relatively well for about 2 days of burning and lost most of it's efficiency. I could not get the stove to get over 400 degrees, even if I tried. When the stove was used according to the manufacturer's instructions (preheated, bypass closed, air set to 1), the stove would hardly get over 300 degrees. Wood was seasoned but obviously not "bone dry".

Woodstock replaced the combustor on warranty but the second combustor lasted about the same and basically failed soon after. Nothing is wrong with the stove. Woodstock reps had me check a few things and everything was fine. They mentioned that they also have a ceramic catalyst and I decided to try it. They sent it to me free of charge as it was on warranty.

The ceramic combustor was MUCH better. The stove was "alive" and easily heated to proper temperature with a much better efficiency. I could run a load of wood all night long, at very low air setting.
The new ceramic combustor lasted about 3 1/2 seasons (Dec - March). Currently it barely works. The bottom of both elements is crumbling. I don't think it will last through the rest of this season.

I would appreciate if other FIREVIEW owners share their experiences with catalytic combustors. Unfortunately Woodstock no longer sells ceramic elements. They only sell the new stainless combustor for $150. Condar sells ceramic unit for $201. For some reason they no longer offer a stainless unit for this particular stove. I'm trying to decide which elements will offer better performance and longetivity.

I was told that the steel cats plug up easier, sooner whatever. ILL stay with the good old ceramic

Reactions: BobMcG
Hope no one gets mad for resurrecting this old thread. It's related to the problems I'm having with my Woodstock FIREVIEW.

The stove is about 6 years old. I bought it new. It came with a "Diesel Foil" catalytic combustor. The combustor relatively well for about 2 days of burning and lost most of it's efficiency. I could not get the stove to get over 400 degrees, even if I tried. When the stove was used according to the manufacturer's instructions (preheated, bypass closed, air set to 1), the stove would hardly get over 300 degrees. Wood was seasoned but obviously not "bone dry".

Woodstock replaced the combustor on warranty but the second combustor lasted about the same and basically failed soon after. Nothing is wrong with the stove. Woodstock reps had me check a few things and everything was fine. They mentioned that they also have a ceramic catalyst and I decided to try it. They sent it to me free of charge as it was on warranty.

The ceramic combustor was MUCH better. The stove was "alive" and easily heated to proper temperature with a much better efficiency. I could run a load of wood all night long, at very low air setting.
The new ceramic combustor lasted about 3 1/2 seasons (Dec - March). Currently it barely works. The bottom of both elements is crumbling. I don't think it will last through the rest of this season.

I would appreciate if other FIREVIEW owners share their experiences with catalytic combustors. Unfortunately Woodstock no longer sells ceramic elements. They only sell the new stainless combustor for $150. Condar sells ceramic unit for $201. For some reason they no longer offer a stainless unit for this particular stove. I'm trying to decide which elements will offer better performance and longetivity.
Not a hijacking! Just for clarification.

As of May 15th, 2015 Manufacturers may only sell or provide to the end user the same combustor that was used in certifying the appliance. There is no such prohibition on after market sellers.

Manufacturers have the option to run additional certification test runs for a suitable replacement, but this adds to cost of testing.

Now back to the thread....Thank you.

Reactions: Ashful

3-1/2 years is a good run, for a full-time burner, on a single combustor. If the ceramic is what’s working for you, I’d be happy to drop $201 on a new one, every third season. Put otherwise, $67 per year is a damn good price to pay, to save a thousand dollars on oil or propane.

Three likely causes of your steelcat failure:

1. Your wood wasn’t as dry as it should have been, if it was your first year burning.

2. When diesel foil cats get real hot, they distort, and pinch off the air flow thru them. They can get real hot if you have an air leak, etc.

3. As already mentioned, steel cats can easily clog with fly ash.