Steel catalytic combustor for a Blaze King Ultra.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm interested in this as well.
I've read several times that "once the combustor is burning, it will keep burning" so it sounds like that might be what it's doing..burning inside the cells where no catalyst is present, creating heat and perpetuating the high temp of the ceramic substrate to stay lit.

Ok, I'll tackle this one....

6) The most important factor you can do to stave off early cat performance failure is to make certain the front door seal stays nice and tight. Any air leak can shorten the life span of the cat.

If you have any more specific questions, post or PM me and I will be happy to respond.

Chris

What are the tell tale signs of a leak so i can watch for them. My Ashford is brandi neww so im not to worried about it I know the paper check, is there anything else i would notice durring the burns that would clue me into a leak?

What are the tell tale signs of a leak so i can watch for them. My Ashford is brandi neww so im not to worried about it I know the paper check, is there anything else i would notice durring the burns that would clue me into a leak?
Just check door seal periodically and each year when you have chimney swept, check bypass gasket tension...that's it!

Just check door seal periodically and each year when you have chimney swept, check bypass gasket tension...that's it!

Pgaron is running an Ashford. What is the best way to check the door seal on the Ashford 30? The decorative castings interfere to such a degree that a dollar is hard to pull out of this door, no matter what the gasket / latch tension.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody Stover
BKVP: Why does a leaky door gasket cause the cat to fry? does it overheat or is it the cold air that kills it?
Does ceramic vs steel matter to the likelyhood it would be damaged?

Reactions: Highbeam
BKVP: Why does a leaky door gasket cause the cat to fry? does it overheat or is it the cold air that kills it?
Does ceramic vs steel matter to the likelyhood it would be damaged?
Thermal shock. A hot combustor having room temp air across the surface can cause washcoat fractures. In ceramic combustors, left vulnerable to no coatings, the degrade and in metal substrates, they just have tendency to plug.

Pgaron is running an Ashford. What is the best way to check the door seal on the Ashford 30? The decorative castings interfere to such a degree that a dollar is hard to pull out of this door, no matter what the gasket / latch tension.
Most users are testing with very narrow strips of paper. Some use the 1" wide packing tape that has the fibers, just 16" long.

One guy said to me that he finally found a use for his dental floss....ugh!