Steel catalytic combustor for an older Princess.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moomeow91

Sep 13, 2023
Estacada Oregon
Here is my cat below, wanted to purchase the BK durafoil replacement but three of my local BK authorized dealers say there is only one replacement option for a PI1010 and it doesn’t say whether it’s ceramic or metal so I’m going to assume ceramic? Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe BK doesn’t make a metal one for the earlier Princess…

IMG_3107.jpeg

As a manufacturer, we cannot "sell" a combustor other than the one used in certification. Aftermarket resellers do not have this restriction.

BKVP

As a manufacturer, we cannot "sell" a combustor other than the one used in certification. Aftermarket resellers do not have this restriction.

BKVP
That makes sense, silly regulations. However in the durafoil thread you made mention of BK actually making one. I bet they don’t make one for the PI1010 since they weren’t around when that stove was made. I’ll go with the Condar Steelcat I suppose then. I have searched high and low and can’t find any other brand for the PI1010.

Yep. Some of their other stoves (BK 30's) were originally tested with durafoil cats, but apparently not the Princess. I believe the reg's now actually now allow one back-up cat to be tested, as well as the primary, but they're probably not going to go back and re-test just for that.

Why would you want a steelcat, though? Have you had problems with the ceramic? Having run a half dozen of each in different stoves, I'd favor ceramic for most.

That makes sense, silly regulations. However in the durafoil thread you made mention of BK actually making one. I bet they don’t make one for the PI1010 since they weren’t around when that stove was made. I’ll go with the Condar Steelcat I suppose then. I have searched high and low and can’t find any other brand for the PI1010.
Check, the PI1010 uses the same size as other models. But ceramic would be my choice.

Someone must be traveling East coast time, this week. ;lol

Nope. I go to work at 4:30 when not traveling.

BKVP

• Wow
Reactions: Ashful
Yep. Some of their other stoves (BK 30's) were originally tested with durafoil cats, but apparently not the Princess. I believe the reg's now actually now allow one back-up cat to be tested, as well as the primary, but they're probably not going to go back and re-test just for that.

Why would you want a steelcat, though? Have you had problems with the ceramic? Having run a half dozen of each in different stoves, I'd favor ceramic for most.
Oh, well maybe I’ll just do ceramic then. I know the fracturing doesn’t effect the performance but it just bothers me that they break. I figured after scouring through the threads here for the last couple weeks the durafoil cats seemed tougher. I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll buy a BK ceramic.

What make a combustor effective is the washcoat and precious metals. They are the same on both metal and ceramic. Both can become over plated with lots of burning. Both work. The substrate appearance is not a huge factor. Stick with what works.

BKVP

If you're finding your ceramic cat fractures or spalds, then it's time to look at your stove maintenance and burning practices. I have one that's 6 years old with more than 40 cords on it, and at least mechanically speaking, it still looks like the day BK shipped it to me. Opening a door on a hot combustor, or loading wet wood into a stove on an active combustor, are the usual ways to cause cracking. Running without a flame shield, or closing the bypass on a totally-nuclear load can cause flame impingement and spalding. But if you're not abusing the thing, ceramic holds up well through the lifespan of the washcoat, which is really all you need.

Reactions: Moomeow91
Here is my cat below, wanted to purchase the BK durafoil replacement but three of my local BK authorized dealers say there is only one replacement option for a PI1010 and it doesn’t say whether it’s ceramic or metal so I’m going to assume ceramic? Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe BK doesn’t make a metal one for the earlier Princess…

View attachment 315370

I don't see any physical damage? Oh and put me down for a vote towards ceramic. I've used both and prefer ceramic.