1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Steer me in the direction for a first saw

Post in 'The Gear' started by prollynotjeff, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Agreed. I use a 361 exclusively. I burn wood to heat my home. I do not sell wood or cut 20 cords per year. The 361 will run an 18" bar like a light saber and it will pull a 25" bar for the bigger cuts. It is easy to operate, it is a pro version with less vibration than the non-pro's. It has a decompression button for easier starting and is just one heck of a good "all around" saw.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ikessky

ikessky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern WI
    From what I understand, pro vs homeowner is all about power to weight, better anti-vibe, and a better design to work on if something happens to go wrong. If you look at the specs between the two saws, you will see that although the 361 has less cc's, it produces more horsepower and is a pound lighter.

If you are simply bucking up delivered wood and dropping a few trees, I don't see why the 391 wouldn't serve you well. I just found out that my uncle is using one to buck up wood for his OWB. Heck, I'm dropping all my own trees with the 4-6 cords that I go through per year and I'm doing it with a 290. I've had more than a few white ash that I've had to cut from both sides because I'm only running a 16" bar.

Now, with that being said, I still think that if you have the money to spend, go with the 361. Right now I'm looking at 440's and 460's that I can rebuild and have a big saw for cheap.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
  4. JeffT

JeffT Member

Loc:
    Dayton Ohio
    Hard to believe they still have a 361.The 361 is arguably the best fire wood saw ever maid.650 is a little high for a discontinued saw(362 takes over).Paid 570 at my dealer in 2009(and they don't come off list price) because they were getting the 362 in.They are a sweet saw.
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    The 362 I look at Thursday price tag 699.00
  6. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Wow I know where a new 2171 JRED is for just about that.
  7. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    I'm gona take some crap for this but its my opinion. I am newer to cutting but have been helping arround a farm. The saws that we use are all husky. The owner uses a 357xp the ones i use are a 242 and a 44 older but very powerful. We have taken down 25 trees , all standing dead and the saws we are using are great no power loss going through some large trees. I dont think you need any bigger for a home owner. Now if this is your living big differance.
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    ,,,,,,,,,, and bless this grub. AMEN!
  9. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Things that make you think hmmmmmmmmm!
  10. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmmm hhmmmmmmmm
  11. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio

242............. I want one bad!
  12. ccwhite

ccwhite Member

Loc:
    Steubenville, OH
    Grab the 361. STIHL all the way. I know a lot of guys here like Husky but I'm not one of those guys. Stihl. I run an Stihl 039 with an 18" bar. My Husky rarely ever comes out of the basement. If I were in you're position right now I'd take the 361 with a 20" bar and figure on getting a big fella down the road. That Stihl is a good "medium" size saw. It's big enough to cut just about everything and for sure everything that's gonna be delivered in log length and it's still light enough and small enough to not wear you out. If you feel like you want it later pick up a 440 or 660 or whatever tickles your fancy.

Just my $0.02
  13. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    Your Husky is also not a pro saw and doesn't have the balance, low weight or power of one of their pro saws. That alone makes a huge difference.
  14. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    039 stihl is not a pro saw either. Both saw's are in the farm class.
  15. ccwhite

ccwhite Member

Loc:
    Steubenville, OH
    I get that its not a pro saw but the old man bought it and it was the biggest husky he could get his hands on locally. I hate that saw and I really thought I would like it because I always wished my Stihl had a 20" bar. My neighbor has a Husky too and he claims it is a pro model. I don't care for it either. I didn't get to use it a lot or anything and maybe he sharpens like a 8 year old I'm not sure. I'm not so much against all Husky saws. It's just that the couple that I've had contact with haven't been good ambassadors of the company. Whereas I've never seen a Stihl I didn't like. Seems like no matter how old or new or big or small they do their job as long as you don't expect a little saw to do the job of a big saw and vice versa. Huskys just haven't felt right to me. (Maybe I should throw a "yet" on the end of that sentence) I don't know am all I just know what I've had in my hands. Just my $0.02