1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Steps to a smoke free Eko gasket

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Tree farmer, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree farmer

Tree farmer New Member

Loc:
    Central NH
    Three weeks of operation and 3 upper door removals and adjustments = smoke free operation
    Thanks to all those who have contributed on this site, thought I would compile this in one topic here is what I went through for smoke free operations
    You will find repetitive steps and maybe something new

Remove front plate on top door and insulation - silicone door plate bolt holes to seal tight

Crank hinges in one turn

lay a bead silicon in the groove of the existing gasket

Install 1/4 inch stove gasket on top of silicone in groove - seal butt ends with a little silicone- I tried just a silicone layer first but hinge area still leaked

Let dry for a few hours so not tacky

Examine door frame weld in hinge lug area - I had smoke escaping some weld areas and a space left in this area between the metal and sealed with silicone

reinstall door and close partially tight until dry 3-4hrs

This should seal the loading door and gasket more thoroughly - you may need to crank the hinge bolts one more time after this retro but try this first

Pull Front fan panel off and remove gasket if loose reapply with silicone layer, then gasket then another layer of silicone on top of gasket - mine was leaking from top right corner where a black streak was visible and gasket was loose.

make sure your stove pipe is sealed in all joint areas with refractory - Rutland makes both high temp silicone 500 and 600 degree along with blk refractory cement in a tube.

Don't open the loading door until temps start to drop to 170's range to refill

Hopefully there will be an easier fix with a new gasket material soon. Silicone impregnated gasket rope? Hopefully my recipe will last awhile.

My wife is happy and I am happy :) :coolsmile: ;-)

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    My Wood Gun had silicone rubber door gskets. When I repaired them I would place waxed paper between the silicone rubber and the gasket seat and lightly close the door until it cured.
  3. Medman

Medman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
    Thanks TF this was just the info I was looking for. I have done everything else but silicone the door gasket and I still have smoke smell. I guess I will be looking for high temp silicone this weekend.
  4. shoeboxlen

shoeboxlen Member

Loc:
    Schoharie County NY
    I turned in the hinges 1 turn it seems to have cleared up my smoke smell issue thank you so much for the info!
  5. shoeboxlen

shoeboxlen Member

Loc:
    Schoharie County NY
    smoke is back guess it was a temporary fix for me turning in the hinges. I am off th the depot tonight to but atupbe of rutland and silicon the living hell out of that gasket. problem is that I cant shut down the boiler can I silicone it and let the heat cure it? supposed to be 12 degrees tonight brrrrrr any help would be appreciated.
  6. taxidermist

taxidermist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fowlerville MI
    says room temp cure on the tube. I sealed everything except the door gasket while the boiler was running.
  7. shoeboxlen

shoeboxlen Member

Loc:
    Schoharie County NY
    I guess I will take my chances and seal it on the boiler while its running. worse comes to worse I will have to so it again when the boiler is shut down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.