Stihl 025 how many pulls to start?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, to those of you that have a Stihl 025/250 how many pulls does it take to start it cold? Mine seens to take more then it should but I have nothing to compare it to. Cold mine takes 3 to 5 with choke on once it pops go to 1/2 choke then maybe 2 more pulls. Once started it will restart on the first pull. I can let it sit for an hour and will again start on first pull. I did change to a carb with both hi and low adj as the old one had a fixed hi speed jet and it really screamed like it was a little lean. It was the same way starting with the old carb also. So it might just be normal for the 025 starting this way.
Thanks!
Don

Doesn't sound unusual (but I also don't own that saw). 5 to 7 pulls to running on a stone cold saw doesn't raise any concerns to me.

I don't think it's out of the ballpark for a 2-stroke that's been sitting long enough to be completely cold (ambient) for a while. Rick

mines the same, several 4-5 choke on then 2 after that. normally.

Sounds right for cold start. "Starts on first pull" is touted a lot, but I don't think it represents how a saw *should* start from cold.

My Stihls take a couple more than my Husqvarnas. The Primer on the Huskys help a lot. IMO.

Doesn't sound out of the ordinary. . .

+1

Sounds like any 2-stroke that doesn't have a primer.

Doesn't sound unusual (but I also don't own that saw). 5 to 7 pulls to running on a stone cold saw doesn't raise any concerns to me.

Nope. My 288XP can sit for 2-3 weeks between uses,in summer 2-3 pulls then it pops,1 its going.1 pull on warm engine.Usually its 3-4 pulls cold start in temps under 30 degrees in winter.Not bad for a 24 year old saw though.

Thanks for the reply's. Sounds like I don't have to worry.
Don

My 180c is supposed to be an easy start, and it takes 2-3 pulls on choke and as many as it will take on start. If it is icy cold winter, can be up to seven.

My later model Stihl 250 has a primer bulb.

Then you have a MS250C. They made two variations, one with just the primer and quick chain adjuster and one with the primer, quick adjuster, and the EZ2Start setup.

I didn't know that, thanks.
However, I don't have the EZ2Start - it does have the primer and quick adjuster, which I like.

I just bought my MS 250 (haven't added gasoline to the dealer-provided tankfull yet). I've started it several times. I read so much about the problems you have if you flood it, that I use a slightly different technique. On a cold start, I pull twice with full choke, then go to half choke and pull, whether or not it "pops" on full choke, Every time I've started it, it starts on the first half-choke pull...eeezy-squeeezy.

If the saw has been running any time in the last few hours, I just start it on half choke. It has started on the first pull every time this way.

I realize that the starting may be so easy just because it's a new saw, but so far, it works for me.

I just bought my MS 250 (haven't added gasoline to the dealer-provided tankfull yet). I've started it several times. I read so much about the problems you have if you flood it, that I use a slightly different technique. On a cold start, I pull twice with full choke, then go to half choke and pull, whether or not it "pops" on full choke, Every time I've started it, it starts on the first half-choke pull...eeezy-squeeezy.

If the saw has been running any time in the last few hours, I just start it on half choke. It has started on the first pull every time this way.

I realize that the starting may be so easy just because it's a new saw, but so far, it works for me.

I picked up a used 270 a couple of years ago, and came up with the exact same procedure. Pulling on full choke until it popped works okay, but sometimes that pop is so slight I miss it and end up flooded. Two-three pulls on full, then to half and it fires up every time.

I think these guys are right about the 1/2 choke start after a couple of pulls, try it, won't hurt a thing. I'd be more concerned with the lean run issue @ startup.Try retuning & see if that helps. Remember that ambient temp, & air density play a role in the mixture settings on the carb. A C

Reactions: n6crv and ScotO

Dan, you have an Easy2Start version of the 250 or just a regular one? Your method is spot-on especially if it's an Easy2Start. Real easy to flood those.

Dan, you have an Easy2Start version of the 250 or just a regular one? Your method is spot-on especially if it's an Easy2Start. Real easy to flood those.

No, I just have the base model 250...no bulb to push.

My 025 takes a couple pulls, 3 or 4 full choke, and if it starts it needs the choke opened right away or it floods. If it doesn't at least try in 5 pulls, I click it to the high idle / hot start position to avoid too much fuel, and it starts like it just needed that gulp of air with the choke off. Mine has the single lever control; off, idle, hot start, choke. The manual calls for hot starts in the high idle position.
Hot, one easy pull everytime in the hot start position. In the low idle position, it takes a quick pull. Definately starts easier hot in the high idle position.
Mine's older and the manual calls for regular fuel, minimum 87 octane. The newer ones recommend higher octane. Since lower octane "burns easier" and is quicker to ignite, It may start easier on lower octane fuel ? Never tried different fuel, so if you're using something other than 87, I'd try that.

The only issue I had with mine ever, was the fuel pickup hose from tank to carb. If you see cracks appear when you squeeze it, change it. It's going to start sucking air. They can also get soft and loose where it slides on the carb. Maybe the ethanol. I tried a bread tie to clamp it tighter on the carb fitting, didn't help. A second hose, years after the first one cured it. It would run fine with a full tank, (fuel up the hose not needing to pull it far) but after a few minutes it would lean out and die.

A trick to find out if your hose leaks a little air; (after sitting, the fuel drains back to tank and it takes more pulls to get fuel back up) Open fuel cap with saw on it's side and pressurize the fuel tank blowing in with your breath. This pushes the fuel right up to the carb. Then see if it starts easier. It checks the hose and connection for leaks too. Air leaks in before fuel leaks out.

Reactions: n6crv
A trick to find out if your hose leaks a little air; (after sitting, the fuel drains back to tank and it takes more pulls to get fuel back up) Open fuel cap with saw on it's side and pressurize the fuel tank blowing in with your breath. This pushes the fuel right up to the carb. Then see if it starts easier. It checks the hose and connection for leaks too. Air leaks in before fuel leaks out.

Yeesh, I like my saws, maybe even love 'em a bit but I never tried kissing them...... :eek:();lol

Reactions: Realstone
The orange don't rub off. Stay away from the wife awhile, 2 cycle breath lingers.

I think these guys are right about the 1/2 choke start after a couple of pulls, try it, won't hurt a thing. I'd be more concerned with the lean run issue @ startup.Try retuning & see if that helps. Remember that ambient temp, & air density play a role in the mixture settings on the carb. A C

I came across this by chance with my Husky and thats exactly how I start it, two pulls on full choke then one pull half and it fires, it worked once when I tried it so Ive stuck with it.

Reactions: n6crv
My 290 is the same way. There's no fuel primer bulb on this model so you have to crank alot to get the fuel delivered to the carb. However, once it's primed it's a one or two pull starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.