Stihl 440 / 440 Mag value?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimBear

Minister of Fire
Dec 15, 2017
Iowa
Just curious from my brethren what their opinions on value/price of Stihl 440 & if the extra money the Magnums seem to bring are worth it?

The magnum is just a sticker,no difference in the saws,marketing smoke and mirrors.
A nice clean 044/440 with a verified good OEM piston and cylinder should bring over $500.Always pull the muffler off to verify a good piston.
My history 044 in a box $100 needed bearings and seals
044 covered in dirt and grease from under a bench, freeby... still had the plastic on the metal badge
MS440 $200 needs bearings piston and cylinder,but has heated handles which i wanted,came with 2 bars and chains.Will be getting a full rebuild and i have a 046 ported cylinder to go on it.

The 044's have the better cylinders for better power.I am looking forward to my hybrid it will be a main saw because of the heated handles and where i live.The dirty grease covered one will be a shelf queen because it is like new under the protective grease and dirt.

One local dealer said the Mags were usually the last 2-3 years of a model run with a few minor upgrades some included few more cc’s of engine, another said what you are saying Salecker, but this dealer also told me that I couldn’t get yellow tag chain for my my 14” - 3/8 Pico which I acquired from dealer #1. So I am seeking some insight here. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
agree with salecker's assessment. $500 or so, I've never noticed any difference between my Magnum marked pro saws and the non-magnum pro saws.

Reactions: JimBear
Yea...dealers
There is no cc difference between a Magnum and non magnum.There are a few models that have difference in CC's over the years of that model,but the only way to tell is to measure the piston.
The closest dealer to me thought the 070 they had on a shelf was the biggest cc ever saw built,they never even knew what a Contra was till i took one in for them to see.They actually thought the 070 was a 090 till i showed them where the plug was on a 090 compared to a 070.

There is no cc difference between a Magnum and non magnum.There are a few models that have difference in CC's over the years of that model,but the only way to tell is to measure the piston.
One I remember was the 056 (84cc) and the 056 Mag II (91cc).