1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stihl MS 170 (Oops I did it again)

Post in 'The Gear' started by DexterDay, Jan 26, 2013.

1. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    ? It's still there isn't it?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    My saw pull handles are all going the same way now.;em I am sooooooo freaking embarrassed.
    HS what a cool project for you & your son. I did few mechanical/restoration projects with my son when He was younger. Man that time was the best spent time ever. Now we still do stuff together & enjoy it. A C
  3. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Doh.... I didnt scroll up.... :(

Silly me
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Unfortunately the OPE aftermarket parts industry isn't nearly as robust as the automotive counterpart. Usually you sacrifice quality or performance for price. I'm very picky about what parts I will use for a given application. Filters and other consumables, usually aftermarket. Engine parts almost always are OEM. I've found generic machine parts like pulleys are fine but often OEM belts are more than worth the cost. (Especially for Deere.) They make a lot of parts that will work or fit fine but just are not the same as OEM. I'm betting that saw would've run just as good had you used OEM seals when you built it. ;)

I don't even think a new 026/MS260 popped on the first tug. Electric fuel pump on yours? :p
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Well, I got the 028 AV today in the mail.....

Wow.. This thing LOOKS 100% Better than it did on FleaBay!!!

The weight and power? Well, as much as I loved my 455 Rancher? I can see this saw filling that void! Lots better bottom end torque than my other Saws (460 not included) :)

2013-01-29_17-19-22_333.jpg
    ScotO and MasterMech like this.
  6. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Oh and MM, it not only "popped" on the 1st pull today, it started. :cool: I flipped it to half just as it was about to die.

Sad part is, I believe I am going to sell it :(

I need to get rid of it and one of the 036's.... Gonna get a 440 or 372XP. Although I came close to a couple 361's. (FreakinStang has me Hooked on getting one) .
    MasterMech likes this.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Because I added the Walboro 194 carb and the 44.7 Slug & jug, and it has the adjustable oiler, I slapped a "Pro" sticker on it. Seeing how its only missing the De-comp and it would be a Pro. :)

2013-01-29_17-04-19_23.jpg
  8. amateur cutter

Loc:
    West Michigan
    That 028 is a beauty Dex. Nice find. A C
  9. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Really nice Dex, you scored big time on that one! That is incredibly nice looking for its age! I wouldn't be so quick to unload that 260 till you see how this saw runs and cuts for a bit.
  10. Boog

Boog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Saw your ad for your saw today......................:( , it was sad sitting there all alone without its friends....................:(
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Only got a couple nibbles at that price. Which is ashamed, because there is an 029 for $275!!

A 260 with lots of parts for $300 or the "Farm Boss" (people love those words) for $275 with NO parts?!?!?

Anyways. I chatted with AC about it. I know its going to another home. Just a matter of what I can get?

Wanna trade?? LOL
  12. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    Very nice but I prefer the muscle machines; Stihl MS 460 Mag. Lost my Stihl 038 Mag from the back of my truck when the tail gate broke. Sick over it. Prefer Stihl over Husq any day although have both. Husq 3120XP, Husq 372 XP but Stihl is smoother. For the small stuff I use light saws and I am constantly fixing them. Good luck with your new one.
  13. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

The 3120XP!!! Nice. The Mac-Daddy of Saws (880 too.;em)

The 460 Mag will put a Smile on even the unhappiest of souls!!

2012-04-15_12-51-53_519-1.jpg
  14. amateur cutter

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Hehehe, 046 /460 fat bottomed girls make the trees fall down.
  15. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Hey Dexter there is a 2100cd in sandusky craigs list that looks clean if your looking for more power!!
    DexterDay likes this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Oops. I did it again... LOL.

If I could sell my 260 for $250, I would prob jump on it.