Stihl quick close lids are not too cool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Anyone else have issues with the lids like the one on my MS211? They have flip down handle like grips, and do not thread on. Twice this bar oil lid has popped off on me after refilling. It makes quite a freggin mess. What is up with that???? Stihl= premium??

Attachments

• bar oil.jpg
    bar oil.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 588
I have em on my 361 and love them. No issues with them popping open.
I do always double check though.

My 270 has them. Hated them at first, but now that I've gotten used to them, I have no feeling either way.

I do not love them, but the ones on my 290 gave me no problems for 8 years and so far so good with them on my 440.

My guess: operator error

mywaynow said:
Anyone else have issues with the lids like the one on my MS211? They have flip down handle like grips, and do not thread on. Twice this bar oil lid has popped off on me after refilling. It makes quite a freggin mess. What is up with that???? Stihl= premium??

I have them on the 310 & 390 stihl, not any problems yet. I thought Stihl had a recall on the caps on some models.

Just a quick search found this, not any saws on this list.

http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_toolless_cap/

zap

I don't like them. I prefer the old-type threaded caps like on my old 026 saws. The o-ring became hard and dribbled on the flippy cap for the oil tank on my new MS260 in less than a year. I replaced the seal a couple weeks ago and that has seemed to cured it's dribbling problem for now. The gas cap was doing the same thing, so I replaced the o-ring on that too, but yet it still dribbles occasionally. The fuel cap has to be absolutely spotless because if it gets even one teeny piece of sawdust on the o-ring, it dribbles gas. I think the mechanism is getting worn and does not squeeze as tightly as it did when new a year ago. Otherwise, perfect saw, but what I wouldn't give to have regular old-fashioned threaded caps like my old backup saws have.........

I dont care for them either but what I did find out on the oil tank was if you fill it to full it makes it much harder to close and seal.
Between work and home I have probably 10 Sthil products that I am very happy with. 5 of those have had the flippy lids for lack of a better term replaced through the recall.

OMG...just when I thought we couldn't find another subject to form up sides and argue about. :shut:

I also prefer the screw on. I did lose some gas one time, right on my leg. Started getting wet and smelled gas. Whoops. Check and double check and no problems. Still prefer the screw-on caps though.

fossil said:
OMG...just when I thought we couldn't find another subject to form up sides and argue about. :shut:

Not so sure about the argue part but is this not part of a forum? To discuss issues?

fossil said:
I propose screw on flippy caps.

The biggest problem with the flippy caps is that they differ from the norm. We've all been trained how to properly install a threaded cap for decades now. Guarentee you that if every other manufacturer used flippy's and scew caps were introduced, we'd be complaining about using a scrench/screwdriver/pliers to remove our caps.

Stihl dropped the flippy's from the backpack blower line. I'm sure it has something to do with a few folk not getting the cap locked down properly and the resulting "wetback".

Long live flippy caps.

mywaynow said:

Try leaving a bit more room in the oil tank when refilling.

MasterMech said:
mywaynow said:

Good tip, this actually helps....but I've found what really works is reaching for a Husky ;-P

i had 1 replaced under warranty it kept popping off

Take the old ones to your dealer, tell him you want new ones. They recalled them all a while ago. Buy spares while there.

Bocefus78 said:
Take the old ones to your dealer, tell him you want new ones. They recalled them all a while ago. Buy spares while there.

Would you happen to have the details on that recall? I have had no problems at all and actually prefer them to the screw setup (especially when wearing gloves and not as any argument with anyone who prefers the screw setup).

Has this site got to the point where we think every discussion is a argument?

I had to replace one of two in 4 years years, bfd.

HittinSteel said:
MasterMech said:
mywaynow said:

Good tip, this actually helps....but I've found what really works is reaching for a Husky ;-P

amen! Gonna keep my eyes open for a 346 and dump the ms211. May go forward with selling it asap since cutting season is coming to an end.

oldspark said:
Has this site got to the point where we think every discussion is a argument?

I am going to have empatically disagree with you on this one! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.