Stihl quick close lids are not too cool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
turbocruiser said:
Bocefus78 said:
Take the old ones to your dealer, tell him you want new ones. They recalled them all a while ago. Buy spares while there.

Would you happen to have the details on that recall? I have had no problems at all and actually prefer them to the screw setup (especially when wearing gloves and not as any argument with anyone who prefers the screw setup).

Linky thing to stihl recall: http://www.stihlusa.com/recalls/recall_toolless_cap/

Chalk up another one to ethanol in your fuel folks.]

If you bought your saw new and it qualifies, your dealer should have registered your saw, and stihl would have mailed you paperwork on this one.

MasterMech said:
Stihl dropped the flippy's from the backpack blower line. I'm sure it has something to do with a few folk not getting the cap locked down properly and the resulting "wetback".

Long live flippy caps.

You sir, are a genius. Fantastic and very subtle. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh and I agree, flippy caps are great. You need to make sure they are on right but after crossthreading a few nuts as a kid I am a bit paricular about getting fasteners started properly before torquing them down.

No problems for a couple of years now on my 290.

I did that once.

Highbeam said:
MasterMech said:
Stihl dropped the flippy's from the backpack blower line. I'm sure it has something to do with a few folk not getting the cap locked down properly and the resulting "wetback".

Long live flippy caps.

You sir, are a genius. Fantastic and very subtle. Thanks for the laugh.

Oh and I agree, flippy caps are great. You need to make sure they are on right but after crossthreading a few nuts as a kid I am a bit paricular about getting fasteners started properly before torquing them down.

No problems for a couple of years now on my 290.

Yeah, well.... I didn't feel so genius-like with my jacket reaking like premix for weeks! :lol: :red:

Now if only they made a flippy cap for the peanut butter jar, even my wife could get it closed right! (I love that woman but she drives me nuts with the damn PB Jar lids! I think she gets a kick out of it!)

Thought I'd add my .02 and I think the stihl twist caps come up short. I've had it leak and recently busted the oil side. But its probably me being all thumbs.

Yea stihl had some cap recalls, not sure what it was on, i do know my old 390 was not one of them though. I have run probly close to 6 gallons if not 7 through my ms390 in the last 7 years or so, maybe more. Never once had a problem with them leaking or anything. You have to make sure that there lined up before you close them. There is a tang that has to engage before you close it.

My saw i think was in the early years of those new caps, but like i said not a problem in the last 7 years not once.

I do have a couple newer Stihl items (my polesaw, blower, etc) but I am all about the ol' Stihl magnesium cased saws. Sure they are heavier, they don't rev as fast, but I rarely, and I mean RARELY ever have a problem with them. Not saying I don't have an occasional glitch here or there, but overall they've been awesome saws. And I cut a PILE of wood all year, every year as I do it on the side. So in a way, I gotta agree with oldspark on this one......flippy caps-silly!!

Long live the flip cap! Husky saws are for wimps that can't handle a Stihl. Yeap I done said it.
Now go to TSC and buy another wimpy saw!

From looking at the recall link it does not look like any of the Chain Saws had recalls. I have had it spill out on me once when I thought the cap was on right, and it was not, a quick mess.

oldspark said:
Has this site got to the point where we think every discussion is a argument?

I don't believe we have, and I certainly hope not. But, as always, a little bit of sarcasm sometimes goes right over some heads. Too subtle, I guess. Forum comments are easy to misinterpret...no facial expression or voice inflection. No body language. Then there's always predisposition. Ya just never know. Ya post yer post and ya takes yer chances. Rick

Hogwildz said:
Long live the flip cap! Husky saws are for wimps that can't handle a Stihl. Yeap I done said it.
I love it Hogwildz!!

fossil said:
oldspark said:

I don't believe we have, and I certainly hope not. But, as always, a little bit of sarcasm sometimes goes right over some heads. Too subtle, I guess. Forum comments are easy to misinterpret...no facial expression or voice inflection. No body language. Then there's always predisposition. Ya just never know. Ya post yer post and ya takes yer chances. Rick
Not your post I was refering to fossil. "especially when wearing gloves and not as any argument with anyone who prefers the screw setup" Not everything goes over my head.

oldspark said:
fossil said:
oldspark said:

Not your post I was refering to fossil. "especially when wearing gloves and not as any argument with anyone who prefers the screw setup" Not everything goes over my head.

Yeah, Sparkman...but I think I may have inadvertently planted the seed in my Post #9...which was meant to be tongue in cheek. Rick

ETA: And even though I quoted your post as a basis for my comments, I certainly wasn't directing my thoughts at you personally...just tossing them out there. It wasn't your head I was thinking of. I should have made that clear...sorry.

Scotty Overkill said:
Hogwildz said:
I love it Hogwildz!!

Well, technically, I didn't type wimps... I typed something that rimes with wussies.....;-)

Hogwildz said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Hogwildz said:
I love it Hogwildz!!

Well, technically, I didn't type wimps... I typed something that rimes with wussies.....;-)

I know, brother....I was one of the 'fortunate ones' who saw the posting seconds after you wrote it! I know what ya wrote!! ;-P

Hogwildz said:
...Well, technically, I didn't type wimps... I typed something that rimes with wussies.....;-)

I have to keep following Hog around and cleaning up after him. This is a family-friendly forum. %-P

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:
...Well, technically, I didn't type wimps... I typed something that rimes with wussies.....;-)

I have to keep following Hog around and cleaning up after him. This is a family-friendly forum. %-P
lol...we understand Fossil...... %-P

My farm boss has them. Never had any problems with them. They are cool. Just gotta make sure you close um right. Love the Stihl saw.

Sometimes arguing ain't worth it. Example. I watched the Outlaw Josey Wales the other night. "Dyin ain't much of a livin boy." :lol: Classic.

Gotta add my favorite Eastwood quotes, both from the same movie:

"Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take everything he's got, and anything he'll ever have."

"I ain't never killed a man before." "Well you sure killed the hell out of that guy."

fossil said:
Hogwildz said:

I try, I really do.......... I just can't help myself.
You know me, Its just my nature.
It is funner to be around me in real time ;-)

mywaynow said:

"Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take everything he's got, and anything he'll ever have."

"I ain't never killed a man before." "Well you sure killed the hell out of that guy."

Unforgiven

mywaynow said:

The Unforgiven.......one of his best movies ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.