Stihl RSC chain, which file?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

basswidow

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Milton GA
I am gonna put on a .325 RSC 81. Will this take a round file or do I need a new beveled file.

Just wondering how you guys running the RSC chain point it up in the field?

round, off the top of my head I think its a 1/4 inch(not sure) sure its a 1/4 inch grinding wheel.

Thanks,

The website is not much help it says for 0.325 pitch 3/16 in file part # 0811 412 8088 but there is nothing to say if the same file will work on a safety chain vs a chisel?

I was alittle panic'd that I'd need to learn a new filing technique and need a special beveled file...

It's hard for this old dog to learn new tricks....

basswidow said:
Thanks,

The website is not much help it says for 0.325 pitch 8.25mm 3/16 file 4.8cm part # 0811 412 8088

I was alittle panic'd that I'd need to learn a new filing technique and need a special beveled file...

It's hard for this old dog to learn new tricks....

yes 3/16 on the file I was close...lol Oh and same here if its working roll with it...

I like to point up on every refill on the gas and oil. Usually one file stroke per tooth.

With this new chain - maybe I'll run it without pointing it up - until I notice the chip discharge getting to be dust.

If I mess it up - I'll go back to a safety chain!

basswidow said:
I like to point up on every refill on the gas and oil. Usually one file stroke per tooth.

With this new chain - maybe I'll run it without pointing it up - until I notice the chip discharge getting to be dust.

If I mess it up - I'll go back to a safety chain!

I would keep doing what your doing...full comp. chain just make sure your angle on and the one stroke each fill up should rock and roll for you.

Will do - thanks!

For .325 pitch chain, the same 3/16 round file works for chisel, semi-chisel, "pro," and safety chains. The .325 Stihl file guide also will work with all those chains.

I prefer to carry extra chains into the field and swap them, but I will file in the field from time to time. I still use a file guide to get the proper depth, and stump vise is very handy.

I just so happen to have a chain file guide info sheet in front of me ;-)

Attachments

• Chain File Guide 2.jpg
    Chain File Guide 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 1,578
I agree that you should continue your practice of touching up at each fill. Only makes the job easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.