Stihl saw explanation needed !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy at least one of each brand and report back.

1992 vintage 066 MAG.
10 MILLION + board feet of saw timber and 3000 plus cords of firewood.
Bars, chains,plugs, air filters,bushings and chain tensioners are the only parts I've put in it. NEVER touched the motor . Stihl starts on the 3rd pull.
NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Well, well. Been a little busy Lee? Haven't seen ya around here much. A C

1992 vintage 066 MAG.
10 MILLION + board feet of saw timber and 3000 plus cords of firewood.
Bars, chains,plugs, air filters,bushings and chain tensioners are the only parts I've put in it. NEVER touched the motor . Stihl starts on the 3rd pull.
NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Glad to see your still kicking lee its been awhile ;)

pete

I lucked into a great deal a few weeks back that enabled me to go from a guy who uses a 42cc Craftsman saw to a guy who uses an MS260 and MS290.

Running either of the Stihls is like running a completely different type of machine than the Craftsman. I don't know how else to explain it. The difference is complete. I used to think that Craftsman was a reasonably good saw, truthfully it did most everything I asked of it for 3 years so I can't complain too much but...I would never, ever consider buying one again. Chances are I'll never have to worry about buying another saw either, which is kind of sad honestly.

Reactions: fox9988
Having a dealer nearby is worth almost nothing to me, that's old school. If you are so confident that your saw will break and need dealer repairs then maybe you should buy another brand.

Reactions: n6crv
I like having a dealer close by. I have several but prefer one in particular.
Not necessarily for repairs. He makes any kind of chain and rents everything. all at decent prices.
Plus its fun to go in the back room and check out all the trade ins from time to time.

I like having a dealer close by. I have several but prefer one in particular.
Not necessarily for repairs. He makes any kind of chain and rents everything. all at decent prices.
Plus its fun to go in the back room and check out all the trade ins from time to time.

Same here . . . I like my dealer . . . as a mechanical idiot it's nice to have a dealer close to home that can fix my saw when I need it fixed and not have to wait a week or two . . . plus they've thrown in a lot of freebies to me from time to time which is always a nice gesture. Price are also very competitive so I end up buying most of what I need right there.

Depends on what you consider "near". The nearest Stihl dealer is a half hour drive (but everything is where I live ;))...I've never even seen a J'red dealer. I wouldn't think the J'red would need warranty service, but if it did, I'd have some serious driving to do.

Okay so is the "dealer" requirement actually just a requirement for a good small engine or saw shop? That I can understand. The only thing special about a stihl shop is that during the very short warrranty period he is authorized to make warranty repairs. After that, I'd rather have a regular saw shop.

I have a chevy truck. I went to the dealer for warranty repair. After that I took it to a local shop,
a couple guys who has been doing my auto work for about 25 years.
In the last 2 weeks I changed the transmission fluid, differential gear lube, engine oil, and coolant myself, I had the time.

I am not hell bent on anything really.

The guy that sells Stihl equipment by me will pack the bearings on your travel trailer if you want him too. I did that myself in the last 2 weeks also.

just sayin.

I bought a $250.00 Stihl calendar and my dealer gave me a free saw.;)

!cid__0428112049.jpg

Sorry, that's all I have. I think you'd like the saws though.

O
Depends on what you consider "near". The nearest Stihl dealer is a half hour drive (but everything is where I live ;))...I've never even seen a J'red dealer. I wouldn't think the J'red would need warranty service, but if it did, I'd have some serious driving to do.

That's funny. Half hour drive for me, too, but there is a J'red and Dolmar dealer about ten minutes away I think he sells RedMax, too.

Okay so is the "dealer" requirement actually just a requirement for a good small engine or saw shop? That I can understand. The only thing special about a stihl shop is that during the very short warrranty period he is authorized to make warranty repairs. After that, I'd rather have a regular saw shop.

I notice Stihl will give you a 2 year warranty if you purchase a six-pack of STIHL HP Ultra engine oil or six 32 ounce containers of STIHL MotoMix® premixed fuel.

http://www.stihlusa.com/information/warranty-service-info/engine-oil-double-warranty/

Stihl Pro 360, 10 years old, over hundred cords, zero problems, original, carb, fuel line , fuel filter, starter rope, etc. Amsoil and seafoam. Always starts . Yes, buy a pro saw for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.