1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stihl vs. Dolmar

Post in 'The Gear' started by beagler, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN New Member

Loc:
    Woodstock, CT
    No, that was already done when I bought it...

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    well i know where there is 6 maples all over 50ins the two of use could tackle it in a weekend!
  3. FLASHMAN

FLASHMAN New Member

Loc:
    Woodstock, CT
    If only we were closer, I'd bring Woodbutcher along, you should see him cut into a pile, he's a madman!!!!!
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If only we were closer, I'd bring Woodbutcher along, you should see him cut into a pile, he's a madman!!!!![/quote]
    i got more wood than i can hope to burn in 10 years if anyone close to anderson in. give me a shout can hook you up!
  5. polaris

polaris Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    KY.
    A ported 660 is my "when I grow up I'm gonna get one saw" But I bet compared to a Dolmar "it's a real dog".......................(just kiding)
  6. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Thats funny right there!
  7. carbon neutral

carbon neutral Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S.E. Connecticut
    I don't know, that 660 looks like a dog to me......a junk yard dog. Stihl guys don't get your panties in a bunch the reference to a dog in this case is meant as a compliment.
  8. Outdoorsman

Outdoorsman New Member

Loc:
    Mi.
    I once owned a 029 Stihl & ran it till it died. At the time I thought it a fine saw....

But a 5100s will OWN it hands down. The Dolmar is, if you just go by the manufacturers figures, is 1.8 lbs lighter & produces the same hp, but with higher chain speed.

To really understand how big a difference 1.8 lbs makes you'd have to run both saws for 4-5 hrs or more, then you really see the full benefit of the lighter pro saw. Further the anti vibe on the Dolmar is just a bit better as well. You get what you pay for & the reason Dolmar is offering more for the $$ spent is simply due to the fact that Dolmar is trying to take a greater share of the market. The prices Dolmar is selling their saws for now is temporary IMO, which is supported by the fact you can buy the Dolmar at a lower price right now in the US than you can in Germany where they are much better known.

What Dolmar needs most of all now is a greater number of GOOD dealers in the US.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.