Still Burning, Anyone Else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes you do! I can think of two quick ways, both of which I used as checks against the other:

1. Take note of how much oil is in your tank and the date when you turn your heat off in the spring. Then gauge how much is left (plus any added) in the fall, when you turn your heat back on. Divide by the number of days between, and that's your summer daily usage for DHW. Assume your winter daily DHW usage will be at least as high, unless you take colder and shorter showers in winter.

2. Track your oil deliveries against the number of calendar and heating degree days (HDD's) between. Plot as gallons/day vs. hdd/day, and then fit a linear trendline to it. Your y-intercept (hdd/day = 0) is your daily usage for DHW. This can also be double-checked by plotting usage throughout the year and eyeballing the summer valleys.
Its Friday, I'm suppose to prepare my brain for not thinking on the weekend, you gave me a headache :p

Reactions: huauqui
That's too cold! We got down to 43F last night. Our tomatoes are in the ground and want warmer feet. Looks like tonight may be a repeat performance. :mad:

Reactions: Highbeam
may 13th.jpg
Just when I thought I was out!, they pull me back in.

Fired up on this cold rainy Saturday. Combination of oak and thin splits of locust. Nice but sheesh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HisTreeNut and Dix
Could be burning here today, but the wood on-site is all four inches too long and 300 feet from the house, so the oil burner runs tonight.

Just lighting up now. Really don't need a fire at the moment. However by morning it will be rather cool. Looks like about one more night of fire until fall? At least I hope!

Burning all day here . . . cold and rainy. At least it's not snow . . . they got some of that up north in Rangley.

45 degrees and raining all day, burning pine. 91 degrees this Thursday, running air conditioning?

Good chance to burn uglies.
20170516_002849.jpg Screenshot_20170516-004916.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Fire last night and this morning. It snowed at Snoqualamie Pass last night. Supposed to go up to the high 70s later in the week. Welcome to wacky spring weather.

Was 46F when I got up this morning, but will hit 90F the next three days, before going back down. That's normal some places, but not here.

Was 46F when I got up this morning, but will hit 90F the next three days, before going back down. That's normal some places, but not here.

Been mid 80's here the last couple days. Doing a little work outside yesterday and realized the weather swing was to much, to soon. I need more time to acclimate!

Think I'm finally done! It was 71 in the living room the other night and my wife was "cold". She started a fire in the stove. It was up to 74 in no time! But it's going to hit 90 in a couple days. This has to be the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I'm finally done! It was 71 in the living room the other night and my wife was "cold". She started a fire in the stove. It was up to 74 in no time! But it's going to hit 90 in a couple days. This has to be the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, 90's coming. I think we are done. Now only if firewood could power an air conditioner, we'd be set.

Reactions: Smokyjeff1
I just put the "Big AC" in, which does most of the main level. Ordered a new window AC for tenant.

Need to buy another, atleast, for main level... time to get an update for the 2 15 YO 5,000 BTU units :mad:

I just put the "Big AC" in, which does most of the main level. Ordered a new window AC for tenant.

Need to buy another, atleast, for main level... time to get an update for the 2 15 YO 5,000 BTU units :mad:

Check the EER before you buy. Those little el cheapo 5000s often cost a lot more to run than a better unit.

Check the EER before you buy. Those little el cheapo 5000s often cost a lot more to run than a better unit.

Did my homework, not to worry :)

Fingers crossed, night time temps finally creeping to above 50º. A week of golden orbs will make a big difference in the garden... and the lawn.

Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 11.03.36 AM.png

Snow closed my road (which is closed in winter but had opened) now today is 92 degrees! Might have a fire on the 4th of July!!!

98 degrees today, humid and thunderstorms rolling through. AC's running on high! Crazy how fast it flips