1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stolen Firewood - First Time For Me!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by quads, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiscoKid

CiscoKid New Member

Loc:
    Eastern PA
    Very nice ending - that's the way things should be!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Lumber-Jack

Lumber-Jack Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful British Columbia
    So does this mean you WON'T be loading any splits with explosive rounds? as has been suggested.
  3. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    On The Farm
    For $ 10 Bucks???

I would have stoled the sign!!!!!
  4. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Ha ha! Nope, probably not tonight anyway!

I still can't believe how it turned out. I thought for sure I had firewood ripped off for the very first time, after all this time of never having had it happen. I had no reason to believe otherwise, no note, no phone call, nothing. I must admit, it was a pleasant surprise. But on the other hand, I was also kind of looking forward to an exciting game of catch the wood thief.

Oh well, back to the old boredom of not being ripped off. I guess I can live with that too!
  5. Monkey Wrench

Monkey Wrench Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    On The Farm
    Since you still have your sign, You know it wasn't me!!

Since it wasn't me....... Anyone here want to fusss-up???
  6. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Quads, with the simple things you enjoy in all your wonderful photos you post and after reading your 1st post on this thread, I would have to say you are a man with CLASS. Keep spreading it and pass it on man. :coolsmile:
    Cheers :)
    N of 60
  7. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    You are so right.
  8. gyrfalcon

gyrfalcon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Champlain Valley, Vermont
    Great story, Quads, with a really great ending. I was envisioning somebody really desperate and unable to actually ask for help, but this is truly a Nice Thing. Good on both of you.
  9. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    Very cool Quads a great read on a friday night. The world needs more people with your attitude. Beers are on me next time your in my part of the world.
  10. whotheguy

whotheguy New Member

Loc:
    Idaho
    Hey Quads, good on you for not shaking the trees down to find the culprit. As you've already found out it was a family in need and time of day was a problem. I certainly congrats the fellow for owning up to his "thieving" and being forthcoming with responsibility.

I personally cut over 100 cords of wood a year. Most of it I sell, but I never deny myself the opportunity to provide to those that have less. I gar-o-phucking-t-u this pays huge dividends in regards to "doing the right" thing. I'll never change my giving ways, it's just what I believe in.

I personally do not have a stack of wood nor a sign by the road, as anybody in need around me knows how to get in touch. The people that have needed wood to heat their home from me are not forgetful. Mostly in the winter months I find myself answering the door to great people delivering home-made pies and bread, preserves, elk & venison, hand-knitted items for my kids and gas for the saw. It always bring a tear to my eye when they arrive as they know how to give "back".

Your good deeds will not go unnoticed my friend.

Robert
  11. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Hareball,

Good one.....

There was a story on here a few years ago where during the Depression, a guy was haing a problem with his neighbor stealing firewood. he warned the neighbor to knock it off but the neighbor denied everything and kept doing it. The guy drilled a hole in a split, put in a piece of dynamite and plugged the hole. Sure enough, the neighbor stole that piece and his stove exploded, burning down his house. supposedly no one was hurt.

While it must have been terrifying to the "victim", I find that story rahter humorous.
  12. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    You all are too kind! Thank you. I do have an Irish temper, but I try to keep it directed properly.

In the back of my mind, when I was still assuming that I had been ripped off, I figured it was probably somebody local and probably even somebody that I know. Turns out I don't know this guy, he's not from around here originally. He said he normally cuts his own wood, but had been sick this Fall (that's when everyone around here cuts their winter's wood). I told him I had already replaced the wood he took in my display, but said to consider what he took during the night as a bonus and just take the whole refilled stack for the regular price. I offered to deliver it for him so he wouldn't have to make so many trips with the trunk of his car, but he refused. Wouldn't even tell me exactly where he lived, so I left it at that.

He may have just been telling me a sob story to get a deal, but I like to listen to the stories and if it's a fairly good one, it's worth a few extra pieces of firewood to me. And he did kind of look the part too.
  13. flash49

flash49 New Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    I bet you wouldn't find it "humorous" if your house burned to the ground.
  14. drewboy

drewboy New Member

Loc:
    Lakes Region, NH
    You're a good man Quads, and a true asset to Hearth.com. (and I like your pictures too)

Rob
  15. richg

richg Minister of Fire

Grow up. The guy was stealing wood from his neighbor during the Great Depression. Back then, firewood was the difference between freezing and having a warm house as people couldn't afford coal. Ever hear that in cowbody days, stealing a horse could be punishable by death? The guy was warned to knock it off and he chose not to. He's lucky that he got out of it unscathed.
  16. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Actually, I find it incredible. Dynamite will not explode when placed in a fire, it will simply burn. I've worked enough with dynamite in pipeline construction to know it needs a blasting cap to set it off. We used to burn dynamite to cook lunch.

Makes for a good urban legend though.
  17. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    I believe it's possible someone did that, or at least tried to do it, especially in the depression days. Desperate people do desperate things. I of course would never do anything like that anyway. I would be too worried about killing some little kid, or the guy's wife, etc. Or if the guy was stealing it and reselling to someone else that had no idea, or giving it to his elderly mother.....just too many variables, even in the depression it would be risky business for both sides of the incident. Besides, I would certainly never kill anybody over pieces of dead trees, especially if I am willing and able to cut more for myself.

If I ever do catch somebody stealing my firewood, it would be much more fun to scare them a little. I am kind of big and ugly, and in my old greasy Carhartt coat, my scraggly beard, my 026 in one hand, my full size maul slung over my shoulder, puffing my chest up, and in the cold air the steam from my nostrils rising around my head......if I catch my own reflection I sometimes scare myself! Ha ha!
  18. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    WOOD THIEF RETURNS

Well that's good to hear that he squared things up with you.
  19. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Quads,
    Man, what a good story. Makes ya' stop and think before just reacting.
    The world is a better place for you being in it.
    Keep the pics coming too, my favorite part of the day is finding the "adventures of Quads" pics.
    Keeps me motivated. Thanks.
  20. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I don't recall the circumstance that brought us there but years ago three of us construction workers dressed for bush work and with chainsaw in hand had cause to be in an elevator. We sure did get the look of fear from the other passengers.

There was one occasion where one guy (not me) decided to make two hotel rooms adjoining by removing a common wall with his chainsaw. We would work hard, drink hard, fight hard, and party hard.
  21. flash49

flash49 New Member

Loc:
    Virginia

Seems to me you are the one that needs to grow up. Thinking that someone's house burning down is funny is pretty juvenile. IMHO
  22. Bobbin

Bobbin Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So. Me.
    Generosity of spirit and in deed are laudible traits in a man. In fact, they define, "a man". Quads, you clearly have both aplenty. And it does my heart glad. It all makes the world a little bit smaller and a little bit better.

Great read on a leisurely Saturday afternoon in a comfortably warm home. Bein' cold sucks.
  23. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I'm old enough to remember a time we did not lock our doors and we never ever lost the keys because we just left them in the truck all the time. I also remember the sick feeling when it all changed and I'm glad that the change hasn't fully reached Quads just yet.
  24. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Since moving up here, that's what we do. Since I lived in the metro Detroit area most of my life, living here has been a real load off. Had stuff taken right out of my truck, parked in the driveway..........all the way up in the driveway behind the house right in front of the garage.
    Nobody messes with me up here, although when we go to Gaylord or Alpena, I still revert to my downstate ways. Lock it up. Too many downstaters in Gaylord.
  25. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Ya, we used to live by Gaylord and never worried about thieves. When I was growing up we too never knew what a locked door was; we just didn't do it nor did we need to. It is sad that things have changed but with more people, that is what happens.

Quads, I'm glad this worked out well and you handled it with class.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.