Stone or Steel!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BB said he had a steel stove that weighted in above 600lbs. The rivels stone for mass.

30NC is a hefty 475 lbs. The T6 is steel at the core, but with a castiron overcoat.

I've never picked beets, but I can beat a pickle, and I can pick a beetle, and I may even have gone to school with a guy named Pete Bickle. Or not.

Marty S said:
This is a common misunderstanding because a basic principle is misunderstood: wood stoves are LOCAL AREA heaters. Simply, you can't get a bus load of people in a VW beetle. If you happen to have a large wood stove, you may be able to heat your entire house for most heating days. Congratulations, you seem to have nullified the basic principle. But no. In extremes of ambient temperature, a wood stove will not make you happy. Very cold outside - it won't heat the whole house. Very warm outside - even a small stove with a small fire is too much.
The devil is in the details.
Aye,
Marty

Speaking of details, would you kindly define `large wood stove', 'extremes of ambient temperature', and 'happy'?

Aye.

. . .but seriously folks. . . WK, you can't just go by the mass of a stove. You have to factor in the specific heat capacity of the material. ~ 0.5 J/g*C for steel or iron. ~ 1.0 J/g*C for soapstone. So a 500-lb slab of soapstone will hold as much heat as a 1000-lb slab of steel. I said slab instead of stove because a 1000-lb steel stove would be gargantuan, and the large surface area would also be a factor in how it holds/radiates heat.

Thanks, B-K! :) For my next joke, I'd like to float an hypothesis. . .Due to their composition, stone stoves "like" to cruise @ lower temps than many metal stoves do. Just as some metal stoves "like" to cruise @ higher or lower temps than others metal stoves do, due to their design.

Den said:
Thanks, B-K! :) I said slab instead of stove because a 1000-lb steel stove would be gargantuan, and the large surface area would also be a factor in how it holds/radiates heat. . . . For my next joke, I'd like to float an hypothesis. . .Due to their composition, stone stoves "like" to cruise @ lower temps than many metal stoves do. Just as some metal stoves "like" to cruise @ higher or lower temps than others metal stoves do, due to their design.

They "like" this? As in, it makes them "happy"? I think you've pretty much addressed the question of `large wood stove’ above. What about ‘extremes of ambient temperature’?

Yeah. they "like" a particular cruising temp. . .after a typical startup/reload, they have a particular temp at which they want to settle down and run for awhile. Kinda like each model of car has a speed at which it likes to cruise on the open highway, if you don't worry about the speed limit, but you don't push it either. . .just sorta lay your foot on the gas pedal and let the car cruise. In a car, this is due to the engine's power output at certain rpm, the gearing, the diameter of the wheels, etc. In a stove, I think it's due to the mass, material, firebox design, fuel quality, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.