Stop the fog?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug crann

Nov 28, 2013
eastern washington
Any suggestions on how to stop safety glasses from fogging over? Our 'hood gets buried in fog during the winter months. Between the moisture content from the fog and me pumping sweat from being sick my safety glasses are dripping....making it VERY unsafe to be using a chainsaw.....

Despite OSHA warnings most folks use a chains saw helmet with wire screen faceshield and skip the glasses. Climbers use a product call "Cat Crap" as an antifog on goggles and others use glycerin. Either one helps but doesn't eliminate it.

Sledders have been known to use cat crap . . . or shaving cream. Never tried it myself though. Usually I just ride with my visor cracked a bit and endure the cold.

I'm such a sweaty pig when I work outside I can't use anything but the helmets with screens. I fog up glasses in thirty seconds. Once you get a helmet with the screen you'll never want to wear safety glasses again.

Despite OSHA warnings most folks use a chains saw helmet with wire screen faceshield and skip the glasses. Climbers use a product call "Cat Crap" as an antifog on goggles and others use glycerin. Either one helps but doesn't eliminate it.
Had a helmet /screen in my hand the other day, but I put it down hoping to find a solution to the fog issue...
Sledders have been known to use cat crap . . . or shaving cream. Never tried it myself though. Usually I just ride with my visor cracked a bit and endure the cold.
Read about "cat crap" in several spots. Shaving cream is a new one. When I rode a bike in Jersey I used tooth paste, it actually worked well. Of course it takes a certain brand for it to work.....I did the potato thing as well, but was a pain in the butt because it did not last all that long.
I'm such a sweaty pig when I work outside I can't use anything but the helmets with screens. I fog up glasses in thirty seconds. Once you get a helmet with the screen you'll never want to wear safety glasses again.
Thing is I do a lot of work on autos, so I kinda need to figure out the fog problem with safety glasses. Have always just been stupid and ignored the risk of eye injury....but as I have gotten older I have gotten a bit wiser.....that and I don't heal nothing like I used to....Thanks for the suggestions....

Another vote for cat crap but know that it won't last all day. You do have to re-apply it every so often.

Have you tried ski goggles? Mine are Z-87 approved and although I have never cut wood in them they don't fog up while cross country sking.

Spit on the inside of the lens keeps diving goggles clear.

Whoever discovered cat crap on glasses to prevent fogging??

Just pull them a bit away from your face (1/8th of a inch) to let the cold get in between your face and the glasses....???? It's not easy this time of the year.

I figure most folks know . . . but just on the off chance that someone is thinking of rummaging around their kitty's litter box . . .

Attachments

• CatCrap3.jpg
    CatCrap3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Swedishchef
i knew nothing about this. I guess it's because I live in QC!

I posted this just in case . . . didn't want you smearing cat poo on your glasses or helmet visor.

Status
Not open for further replies.