storage in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grogbc

Aug 8, 2013
ellsworth Maine 04605
Hello all! Im new here. I stack my seasoned wood to burn in my basement for easy access. I have a wood stove down there as well and have pondered the idea of just storing the wood recently cut and if it being inside and the heat of woodstove inside would season it as well as being stacked outside. I would love some feedback if you think its a good or bad idea an why. In the mean time im enjoying reading all the posts on other topics.

Wow thanks for the welcome and such a quick reply! Im curious of the details of what others experienced. either it didnt season well or if there was problems with excessive moisture etc or anything else for that matter.

Hello all! Im new here. I stack my seasoned wood to burn in my basement for easy access. I have a wood stove down there as well and have pondered the idea of just storing the wood recently cut and if it being inside and the heat of woodstove inside would season it as well as being stacked outside. I would love some feedback if you think its a good or bad idea an why. In the mean time im enjoying reading all the posts on other topics.

I tried it.
I stacked a face cord in the basement, and another with same size splits outside. I did this one year ago.

The outside wood is grey and cracked and dry and ready to go.
The inside wood is still full of moisture.

AND- wood drying in the basement puts out a lot of humidity. No problem in winter. BIG problem this summer.

Save the basement for fully seasoned wood.

Keep the fresh stuff outside. It will dry faster.

To do better than the outdoors, you'd have to have some combination of lower humidity and higher temperatures than outside, and you'd have to replicate a breeze with some fans. Basements tend to be the coolest, highest-humidity part of the house, i.e. the worst area for drying wood. It would be better than outdoors only in winter, and only if you had fans blowing air through the stacks 24/7. Also, there'd be more risk of bringing in bugs and growing mold which could cause problems.

Yeah figured as much really but its great to get some feedback from others that have tried it. my situation is that it wouldnt get into the basement till fall and be in ther over the winter so the humidity factor might actually be a good thing but over all drying of it wouldnt without a constant breeze as compared to outside. I really appreciate the insight!

my situation is that it wouldnt get into the basement till fall and be in ther over the winter

In a sense you would get a jump on the drying by having it inside. Trouble is, it wouldn't get dry enough to use this year, and you'd lose any comparative benefit when the weather starts to warm up in the spring unless you then moved it all outside... which would be a lot of extra work.

Its really best with wind and sun. Humidity will stay in the wood in the basement. Maybe a dehumidifier.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
If you are gonna store wood inside your house in the summer, the only place that would season it at all would be the attic, due to the heat (run that idea past your wife once and see where it lands you!:eek:) . But I'd HIGHLY recommend that you don't keep wood in the basement during the summer months, especially green wood. It's gonna create mold issues that will drive you nuts......and it AIN'T gonna season, AT ALL!

Welcome to the forum grogbc.

I've known several folks who used to do this. With the lack of air circulation (especially dry air) the chances of getting wood dry in the basement is extremely low. Some have tried using fans and humidifiers but with limited results.

Best is like most of us do. Here, we cut wood in winter, split and stack in spring. Leave it all summer and fall then top cover before snow flies much. Then we wait. We probably wait longer than others but it has big benefits. In October I'll be bringing about 2 1/2 cord to the barn and that is what we'll burn this winter. That wood was cut the winter of 2008-2009 and stacking was completed early in April 2009. It should be really nice!

Good luck.

I would never consider storing green wood inside...however, some of my oak that's been sitting outside for 4 years, I could probably bring that in and not have any problems.

Welcome
Sounds like you're squared away already .

Wood type / types & pictures help ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.