STORAGE TANK PIPING PROBLEM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood thing

May 20, 2010
potter co. pa.
LAST WEEK END I ADDED A SECOND 500 GAL STORAGE TANK. HAVING READ THE STICKY BY NOFOSSIL ON STORAGE SYSTEM DESIGN, THIS WAS A PERFECT TIME TO RE-PIPE. WHEN THE BOILER IS OFF AND THERE IS DEMAND, IT SEEMS TO LACK MAJOR FLOW THRU STORAGE. MOST FLOW IS PULLING OUT OF THE BOTTOM OF THE FIRST TANK, THRU THE COLD BOILER, THEN TO THE HOUSE. I'M THINKING OF PUTTING A ZONE VALVE BETWEEN THE TANK AND THE BOILER RETURN. ANY OTHER IDEAS ?

I wouldn't plumb a zone valve on your primary loop unless it is normally open in a power-off situation (mag valve).

I accomplished what you're looking for by plumbing my loads between tank and boiler in's/out's upstream of the Danfoss valve on the return. Once the boiler cools and the Danfoss closes the heat loads are no longer able to pull through the boiler and are forced to go 100% from storage...

Status
Not open for further replies.