Storage Tanks ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigden

Apr 24, 2008
Northeastern Vermont
I'm new to this and I'm seeing the sensibility of storage tanks. But what is everyone using for storage tanks? where are you getting them from? and where the heck are you putting them? Can they be put outside or buried?

Big Den said:
I'm new to this and I'm seeing the sensibility of storage tanks. But what is everyone using for storage tanks?

Old propane tanks or dairy tanks are popular, on the metal side.

EPDM-lined tanks can be purchased (eg, STSS) or home-made.

Big Den said:
and where the heck are you putting them? Can they be put outside or buried?

The STSS tanks are collapsible, so you can move them through a house and get them into the basement. If you custom-build your own tank, you can build it in place.

You can put a tank outside then insulate it an protect it from the weather.

Buried tanks are also possible. Insulated concrete forms can make that easy.

Joe

LP tanks for burial are somewhat different from above ground tanks, exactly how I don't know, but corrosion is an issue in burying a steel tank. Insulation will be very important, whether or not buried, except to the extent you want escaping heat to warm the area where the tank is placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.