Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some manufactures store the pellets outside double bagging the pallet. Indeck shows outdoor storage at their plant.

Short answer is yes, just keep them dry.

Reactions: Augmister
Can you store pellets outside if they are wrapped in a tarp?

Last year we stored pallets of pellets outside, moving the bags into the shed only when we had to start a new pallet and remove the original plastic shroud. We had no problems at all. I know there is lots of discussion on this but it worked for us and solved the problem of limited indoor storage space.

One thing I have seen at dealers is that Pallets of wrapped pellets tend to collect rain water on top.

The birds like to drink and bath in the water.

Here on the cape the birds poke holes through the overwrap.

Have picked up quite a few cheap bags of pellets from damaged pallets at my local hardware store.

The store now puts a sheet of plywood over each double stacked pallet :)

---Nailer---

I'm burning pellets that were left outside where they were delivered since before last year.
They are burning fine. Left them in the plastic they came in .

If they are on a skid and have manufacturers shrink wrap and cover etc on it then they will be fine..
If you have individual bags piled and you want to cover them with a tarp..that probably wouldn't work too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.