storing lots of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmacfarland

Mar 29, 2008
MA & NH
Woods have been bothering me lately, the low value stuff is topping the better prospects.

Lucky enough to have a friend with a skidder and another with a firewood processor, long and short is I am likely to have about 30-50cd cut and split by fall. The thought of stacking it all is a bit daunting. Was thinking of moving the processor and leaving the wood in windrows for drying, maybe covering it with clear poly before it snows. anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks.

30 to 50 CORDS?? That is a bunch of wood. How many years' supply is that? If I had tons of space I'd stack it in long rows in the sun. I'd definitely keep it off the ground with something that won't rot, if that is practical. I would not cover it with plastic, unless you can cover the top only, in a way that allows plenty of air movement and allows humidity from within the stack to escape. I see lots of stacks that are covered enough to keep humidity in and to restrict air movement through the stack, but look like the cover would let rain pool on top or leak between the tarps into the wood. I would avoid that.

That is a good deal of firewood and very nice to have. I definitely would stack it even if it took a month or more to do in spare time. Definitely get it off the ground and if you don't want to cut poles or scrounge pallets, just use some of that wood. Lay it down in 2 rows and stack the rest on top.

Also, I hope that wood has been split rather than just leaving in rounds.

I saw one fellow near here who has a long driveway (probably 350-400 yards) and he stacked 2 long rows beside his driveway. Because the area is all open he should get good wind to help dry the wood. That is a good way to do it. He also does not cover his wood which is still best at least through the summer and fall.

At 5 cords per year - you have the potential of 10 years worth (at 50 cord). In order for this wood to last that long it will need to be stored properly.

Stack in rows and off the ground. Wind is your friend. Cover it if you choose to, but ONLY the tops. If left in piles and on the ground, you will end up with tons of rot in a 10 year period. That is money in the bank, don't just leave it laying around. Thats my opinion anyhow.

4049177809_5d1fa1605b.jpg

A nice thing about pileing wood is that you're more or less done when you throw it up while splitting. Also you can have 10-12' high piles without fear of a catastrophic collapse.

Sure a few pieces will occasionally landslide but you'll never have those KABOOM collapses that leave you in fear of your childs safety. This pile sits on a water draining gravel pad and is 50'+ long and 14 or 16' wide, a real labor saver.

Clinker if your in the woods I suppose you could pile on a long pad of closely criss-crossed limbs. I've done it that way with good results. For whatever reasons our experience dictates working a long narrow pile rather is more efficient than a huge monster round pile works best. Also if you do this working for right to left is best...WHY I dunno...it just is.

Just for sugaring I will be using 5-10cd year. 2-3 cord in the fireplace. 1cd for firepit.
been thinking of supplemental heating with it too which would be another 3-4cd or so. It disappears kinda fast. i like to burn wood.

add that up and its like a 3 year supply......so i don't think it will rot.

Clinker said:

If you can burn up 50 cord of wood in 3 years - uh, you win. Thats a staggering consumption rate. From this point forward I will call you "Uber Pyro".

Jags said:
Clinker said:

If you can burn up 50 cord of wood in 3 years - uh, you win. Thats a staggering consumption rate. From this point forward I will call you "Uber Pyro".

+1 but pics or it never happened!

For long term storage I would most definitely get it up off the ground and I would consider top covering it . . . in my own case with the wood only being left exposed for a year or two I just leave it uncovered before restacking it in the woodshed.

Savageactor, I had forgotten your setup. Thanks for that picture. But I'm not sure I understand what you mean by criss-crossing limbs. All I do is lay down 2 poles and start stacking wood. This wood that is pictured will not be burned for several years and that is why we stack usually in 3 rows before a space. It dries nicely.

Wood-2009c.gif

Have I ever burned 15cd/yr? no way.The potential is there and it will never happen if i don't get it cut split and dry.

I like savageactors setup. might have to go to camo tarp color to keep the missus happy though.

Is that a cross pole on the bottom that gets buried in the pile to keep things pinned down?

Hi for all those that are interested yes, all poles that touch the ground are buried to help lock down any wind sail...and yes this can take off on you. Here's a different set up that's 30'x14.

To further prevent wind sail note the crudely painted horizontal lines. That's what I lay the tarp over. Once in position we lay more horizontal lines over the tarp and between the first lines.

4618574122_37531c9dd6_m.jpg

The vertical lines at the left end are lines I throw over the windward side and they also are very helpful in keeping the tarp in place. Not seen is the long pole we tie the vertical line to, it lays and runs along the side of the tent.
4049922244_f734f70f35.jpg

Here's an image of the windward side of the wood tent. Hit the 'control +' keys a few times and you'll see the lines that help lock down wind damage and the poles running along the bottom of the tent the vertical lines are tied to.

Yes the blue color isn't too pleasing on the eye...and you'll need plenty of tarp menders to replace the junky Chinese grommets. Also be advised the tarps will wear holes where the wood rubs on it. I save the older tarps to use as an underlayment to help protect the new tarps.

If you have the room and are somewhat remote this method may be crude but it's very effective at storing a large quantity of wood with the least amount of labor time possible.

edit for Savage.
crissed crossed limbs ###### when we first started this on a small scale before I got the CUT we did all processing on site in the woods. Once a suitable work area was established we threw a bunch of limbs in a haphazard manner to act like a crude vapor barrier to 'pile' our split logs on.

Todd, I've considered building something like that. Maybe some day I shall do it or something similar.

Clinker, What is 5cd?

Jags said:
Clinker said:

Thanks Jags, that's the best laugh I've had since I got broncitis about 2 1/2 months ago. That "Uber Pyro" name made me laugh so loud I ended up coughing for 5 minutes, felt good though, I think I might be getting better. I hope so, I've got a guy that gave me 2-3 cord of Black Locust and I've been too sick to get it and I don't want to loose it, that stuff's premo. He's had it sitting on an old boom truck for a year and a half. He also said he'll cut it up to size for me, all free! I've got to get on this somehow, that'll be more than enough to get through next winter and into the following. I already have around 5 cord for next winter. I try to get close to two years ahead but am limited on space. Also, close to me are a bunch of dead Ash that I'm sure I can get, just don't know if I want to. I'm getting tired of cutting Ash. I'm thinking maybe this summer of building a roof off my shed so I can stack the wood higher and get to a full two years out. Like Backwoods always preachs, "season that wood", with an EPA fireplace there's nothing like burning properly seasoned wood. My thanks to all here that have helped me learn how to do this right.

Whew - I am glad you expanded on your first sentence. I thought you were going to compare my attempt at humor to bronchitis. :sick:

andybaker said:
Jags said:
Clinker said:

Thanks Jags, that's the best laugh I've had since I got broncitis about 2 1/2 months ago. That "Uber Pyro" name made me laugh so loud I ended up coughing for 5 minutes, felt good though, I think I might be getting better. I hope so, I've got a guy that gave me 2-3 cord of Black Locust and I've been too sick to get it and I don't want to loose it, that stuff's premo. He's had it sitting on an old boom truck for a year and a half. He also said he'll cut it up to size for me, all free! I've got to get on this somehow, that'll be more than enough to get through next winter and into the following. I already have around 5 cord for next winter. I try to get close to two years ahead but am limited on space. Also, close to me are a bunch of dead Ash that I'm sure I can get, just don't know if I want to. I'm getting tired of cutting Ash. I'm thinking maybe this summer of building a roof off my shed so I can stack the wood higher and get to a full two years out. Like Backwoods always preachs, "season that wood", with an EPA fireplace there's nothing like burning properly seasoned wood. My thanks to all here that have helped me learn how to do this right.

Why are you tiring of cutting ash? Great heat and an easy split? Cheers!

For the variety. Ash, Ash, and more Ash is kinda boring when there's a lot of other woods that are better. I'm in Northwest Ohio and EAB has done a complete job of killing every Ash in sight. There is so much of it around that I could burn til the day I die and not even come close to burning up what's probably within 1 mile of my home. It's so sad it makes me sick to think about and that probably has something to do with the way I feel about the Ash. Half the fun of burning was scrounging up wood. I never had any problem finding wood, usually passing a lot off to some of my friends because of my lack of space or it was a tree I won't process, like Silver Maple for example. Now there's no enjoyment in hunting down wood when it's everywhere and they all need it down, like now. Sure I'll take Ash because it's a good wood but I miss the hunt. That's all.

andybaker said:
For the variety. Ash, Ash, and more Ash is kinda boring when there's a lot of other woods that are better. I'm in Northwest Ohio and EAB has done a complete job of killing every Ash in sight. There is so much of it around that I could burn til the day I die and not even come close to burning up what's probably within 1 mile of my home. It's so sad it makes me sick to think about and that probably has something to do with the way I feel about the Ash. Half the fun of burning was scrounging up wood. I never had any problem finding wood, usually passing a lot off to some of my friends because of my lack of space or it was a tree I won't process, like Silver Maple for example. Now there's no enjoyment in hunting down wood when it's everywhere and they all need it down, like now. Sure I'll take Ash because it's a good wood but I miss the hunt. That's all.

LOL theres really not much hunting for me either, took about a month into it and I have enough trees left for a very long time.

smokinjay said:
LOL theres really not much hunting for me either, took about a month into it and I have enough trees left for a very long time.

In about 6 months people from out east are gonna want to choke you. :lol: :cheese:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:

In about 6 months people from out east are gonna want to choke you. :lol: :cheese:

I went on a weekend kayaking trip this weekend I am none cross cutting till fall. "Milling to start next week".

Has EAB hit the east coast yet? They'll all know what we're talking about here in the mid-west then. I swear, one of every 15 trees have died in the last 5 years. Entire city streets lined with these things have had to be cut down. And find a patch of woods you can cut in, you'll be amazed. Last year I gained permission to cut in some woods to get the ash out, i didn't realize how many there were. I got a friend in there too and he's takes out close to 40 trees now. Still more to get and after that just walk across the street and there's more. It's terrible to see what this thing has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.