Storm Score pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Stick

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Capital Region, NY
Recently a bad storm in my neck of the woods. Lots of trees down. Unfortunately, many homes damaged too. Saw some tree damage that is just terrible. Some people have watched their homes incur some major damage, huge trees and torrential rain. Lots of snapped trees hanging 50 feet off the ground, leaners all over. No joke storm damage. I have been scrounging though. Will be doing so for months. too many locust trees down to count. looks like blowdowns in some areas (thankfully in the woods) of some areas I have seen. Although I am proud of the amount of work it took to get this wood in my driveway, after taking some wood out of someone's back yard and seeing their house after a 48" wide base tree fell from the neighbors yard and wreaked literal destruction upon it, I actually wish I didn't have this opportunity to get the wood. But here is my pile. The pile in the forefront of some of the pics I have identified as an oak . Extremely heavy and solid, in some pieces I have seen an oak grain, and there were some small branches left behind by tree service that were clearly oak leaves. My FIL says it is a maple but there were zero maple leaves around and I looked as my identification skills are basic right now. I do, however, know what locust looks like as you can see. Can some of you with more knowledge weigh in?? photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 1.jpg

Im fairly new but to me it looks like locust

I meant the other pile in the forefront dependent on which picture you look like. It is the pile that is just thrown one on top of the other not the stacked stuff which is locust.

to me that looks like a white oak of some sort

I think that makes sense based on what I saw at the scene and was my initial guess...

Yes, white oak in picture 2

Reactions: Boom Stick
I recently got some white oak and holy heck is it tough to split. Way harder then the red oak I also have. The white oak seems to be a little stringy as well.

I recently got some white oak and holy heck is it tough to split. Way harder then the red oak I also have. The white oak seems to be a little stringy as well.

Yep. The handiest tool I have is that hatchet at the splitter for knocking out that stringy stuff when splitting large white oak rounds.

Reactions: Applesister
Nice score on the white oak.
Tough & it smells good when cutting & splitting .

Reactions: WeldrDave
Pretty stoked. my 1st white oak score. thanks for the hatchet tip while splitting. I have some gnarly looking blocks I am just going to use the splitter on this.

Nice score BS, not much you can do when Mother Nature does that. In our area two weeks ago a storm hit (straight line winds) a guy had a tree go through the roof, first floor then down into the basement, they were cutting the tree from inside the house so they could get it out.

Pretty stoked. my 1st white oak score. thanks for the hatchet tip while splitting. I have some gnarly looking blocks I am just going to use the splitter on this.
You must of had a pretty good idea of what you were looking at to come up with those 2 species. That is a lot of work sitting there, that is heavy stuff. Nice looking pile.
Im in the Capital region too, Ive been hearing tornado touch downs came thru. We had warnings for our county. Those 90° temps were nasty. I had dead pucky stuff drop in the woods. Poplar and maple. Junk clean up. I wont be as enthusiastic.
Can you show us a split of the white? I dont see that much of it.

Nice score!

Hell of a score!

It ain't over yet. Still plenty of wood downed to pick on.

Wow Boom, that sounds like some serious damage. Glad you are able to take advantage but know what you mean about feeling for those folks with the big damage. Tough to take sometimes.

Time to get a splitter...

I see nothing but black locust and white oak in those piles. Good stuff.

The white oak is pretty heavy. I may have to go with that as being heavier.

The white oak is pretty heavy. I may have to go with that as being heavier.

That being the case - it may very well be white oak and not maple. It should at least be equal to, if not heavier than the locust for it to be white oak.

The white oak around me has a much heavier bark on it, and it doesn't "chip" like the bark in your pics.

Well Jags, hard maple lets you know that it is no easy thing!

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.