stove black paint and scuffing-wear

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishboat

Hearth Supporter
Dec 2, 2006
Wisconsin
I continue my research into finding the right woodburner for me.

I looked at an insert-stove last night & a floor model had the standard stove-black steel face on it. It had a scuff on the face & it got me thinking about how the stove-black steel (high temp paint I assume) will wear over time. I can see how a nickel face would wear well & stand up to some abuse. The gold face (24kt) may not stand up as well as 25k gold is pretty soft.

How well does the stove-black coating on a steel woodburner hold up? If it gets marred do you just repaint it (with the proper paint..)?

fishboat said:
I continue my research into finding the right woodburner for me.

I looked at an insert-stove last night & a floor model had the standard stove-black steel face on it. It had a scuff on the face & it got me thinking about how the stove-black steel (high temp paint I assume) will wear over time. I can see how a nickel face would wear well & stand up to some abuse. The gold face (24kt) may not stand up as well as 25k gold is pretty soft.

How well does the stove-black coating on a steel woodburner hold up? If it gets marred do you just repaint it (with the proper paint..)?

Matte black painted stove finishes hold up pretty well. They have to be painted every few years if you are a stickler. The main disadvantage to them is that they are hard to keep clean. Dust and especially ash dust shows up on them and they aren't as easy to just wipe clean as the enamelled stoves.

Hey BroB, have you ever used any of the stove polish? I was wondering how that holds up. My stove is getting to the point where it might need a little cosmetic touch up, and a full removal is damn near out of the question, so painting it will not be a fun project.

I never have tried polish. The old stove was metallic brown so paint was the only option. I may try polish on one of the Jotuls after the season but with all of the nooks and crannies of on a cast stove paint may be the best for it.

From what I have heard from a few different sources, the polish works great on cast iron, but, not so hot on flat steel. I have seen a steel stove that stove polish was used, didn't look so good. Could see streaks and variations in the sheen. Might have been application though. I did see the same on an old cast iron stove and it looked really nice.

I agree with the black shows the dust/ash. Perhaps paint it a dust color ;). I'm kind of partial to a satin metallic black, but I admit it is boring. I think for durability, the key is prep. Getting it clean, roughed up enough for the paint to bite, but not so course that the marks show, then proper application of the paint. Lots of thin layers instead of on or two thick ones. Even a little buffing with a scotch brite pad in between coats or at least, prior to the last coat.

For the job they have to do, I am impressed with most high temp paints. KD

Ive sprayed mine black, spilled polyurethene on it, had to steel wool it off, paint again, tried the polish, that stuff sucks, it smeared dry in spots, i use the high temp black it does alright, but like BB says it shows fly ash, ash dust. etc. The polish is pits on steel, use high temp black spray, i even trimmed mine with gold for the gold marc logo that melted off, then silver for the air fins, that also melted away, flat black high temp seems to stay.

hardwood715 said:
Ive sprayed mine black, spilled polyurethene on it, had to steel wool it off, paint again, tried the polish, that stuff sucks, it smeared dry in spots, i use the high temp black it does alright, but like BB says it shows fly ash, ash dust. etc. The polish is pits on steel, use high temp black spray, i even trimmed mine with gold for the gold marc logo that melted off, then silver for the air fins, that also melted away, flat black high temp seems to stay.

Yep. Just always remember that it aint' furniture, it's heat.

I have seen many of the "Earth Stoves" and others over the years get a good rub down of baby oil in the spring , summer and fall ..........wipe on , wipe off and polish .... after a few years these stoves look like there were powder coated a nice shiny black and had a good hard pain surface.

I always ask for the baby oil rub down too. And I am starting to look powder coated.

I have seen many of the “Earth Stoves” and others over the years get a good rub down of baby oil in the spring , summer and fall ..........wipe on , wipe off and polish .... after a few years these stoves look like there were powder coated a nice shiny black and had a good hard pain surface.

Are they made of steel- the earthstoves?

I always ask for the baby oil rub down too. And I am starting to look powder coated.

Does your surface pain too?

Sorry Roo for taking advantage of that typo!

Thanks for your thoughts here. I assume the ash the stock-black surface picks up can be wiped off with a damp cloth (once the stove cools down or doesn't it matter)?

I have owner of a dealership giving me an estimate tomorrow morning...I'll ask him & post if he says anything interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.