Stove cement and discolored liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Miggss

Dec 4, 2017
Connecticut
Is the discoloration of the stove pipe normal on my fireplace insert. Had it installed last season and just took the shroud off to inspect. Also noticed the cement where the stove is attached to the liner is very brittle and falling off. Is that normal? Should I replace it? Thanks

Attachments

• Stove cement and discolored liner
    20201012_170644.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Stove cement and discolored liner
    20201012_170240.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 92
Properly installed, there should be no need for cement. It never bonds well in this application.

Ok thanks. There's no large gaps and everything appears to be fitting together tightly where the cement has fallen off.
Yeah I see no problem there at all. Furnace cement really only works when held tightly in gaps. It will flake off on the surface like that every time

Mine is discolored also. I’ve been told it’s perfectly normal