Stove Chow brand is mad by Energex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I have read that but would like to know how you know for sure that they are made by Energex. I was looking for confirmation.

Second, I have been burning them and just bougt ten more bags. I would rate these pellets as excellent, behind the Lignetics.

My experience is that they are a fine pellet with little to no fines, they burn hot and clean with about the same ash as hardwood and no black soot. The glass stays just as clean as lignetics or any hardwood pellet.

The only way I know they are made by energex is I have contacted the company and asked for a dealer in the area.They said they were sorry for the delay getting back to me but this has been there busiest year ever.The salesperson told me to go to my local homedepot and ask for Stove Chow Brand.He went on to say they are made by Energex.

That is good enough for me. I have also heard some great things about Energex and then some not so great things. The Stove Chows I have had have been great.

Let us know how yours do for you, please!

Mark :)

Will do Mark. I am going to HD in the morning to see if they carry them .I have been burning the Fireside Ultras from HD .They burn hot. but if I dont clean out pot every 3-4 days I lose about 3-4 degrees in temp. I just started about 12 days ago with my stove. I am very new and green but learning fast thanks to this great site. I have to buy pellets early this year because the ton price here in NJ is CRAZY. I paid 300 a ton for fireside. Hammer hot one are $338 a ton.
Every other brand including New engalnd ,green supreme and a bunch of other all sell for $300 a ton.I figured I will use about 5 tons a winter.

Now I am confused...
Stove Chow is or should I say was made by a company in Western Massachusetts by the name of Catamount. I thought they went out of buisness years ago. But this year they returned..at least here on the pellet mill.

Like I said I am only going by what the Energex sales guy emailed me.I was only looking for a local dealer and he said to go to HD and ask for stove chow.I know nothing about either pellet or the company itself

Stove Chow update:

I am on my fifth bag and first bag from a different pallet. They are the cleanest burning pellet I have used. Cleaner than Lignetics it seems. The reason I say this is the glass seems to stay cleaner, longer than with any other pellet I have used. They burn as long or longer than even the hard wood pellets I have used. It got down to 15 last night and I woke up to a hopper that was almost half full. I have consistently run out of pellets over night with any other brand.

They would be my number one brand, however I don't have the experience of use with these as the Lignetics as I have burned almost a ton of the Ligs.

Mark ;)

I bought several bags of Stove Chow at the local HD. I agree they seem to be great pellets. I'd also like to know who makes them. On the bags I have they say Premier Pellet Corp. Pennsylvania. No website for Premier Pellet Corp. So off I go for a little more research.

Schoondog

I found a few postings and one with a link that indicated they are now made by energex of pa

Yea I found a link that says Energex is the owner of Stove Chow. I guess it doesn't matter too much. Bag also says made in America, they burn nice, and thats enough for me!

Schoondog

Final Stove Chow update::

I cleaned out the stove today as it was a little more warm and I could shut it off. This was after about 13 bags of Stove Chow. The stove was by no means clean. I would say it was slightly more dirty than when using good hardwood pellets.

Ash content,

I had about 1/4 ash pail full of ash which is comparable to good hardwood pellets but a little higher.Slightly more ash than quality hardwoods but about 1/4 or less the ash of that ACP brand.

Black soot output,

No more black soot or dirty glass than with hardwood.

Consistency,

Was not as good as the Hamers or Lignetics yet I never had a problem with the burn I got.

Summary,

Yea I would have to agree with your findings. I have burned several pellets brands and Stove Chow is right up there. Nothing beats Lignetics, then Stove Chow and Rocky Mountains. Eurekas were OK. I have 10 bags of Barefoots right now that someone gave me for fixing something for them and they are doing OK. Sorta strange white ash from them. The only pellet that I really didn't care for was the Cleanfires. Not much heat from them. I just bought a couple of bags of the Apppling County pellets and my buddy says they just lowered the price to $269 a ton for them. So I guess the prices are coming down. They were getting $299 a ton. Ash and fines and those things don't really seem to bother my stove much. My thing is how much heat shoots from the front of the heat machine, and Lignetics are the hands down best at that for me so far. Maybe the Appling County pellets will be an underdog winner when I burn em after cleaning the stove and warming things up before the Superbowl on Sunday !

Schoondog

Appling County Pellets were ok as far as heat, but were dirty and produced a lot of ash. Let us know your findings.

Mark

Mark Fellows said:
First, I have read that but would like to know how you know for sure that they are made by Energex. I was looking for confirmation.

Second, I have been burning them and just bougt ten more bags. I would rate these pellets as excellent, behind the Lignetics.

My experience is that they are a fine pellet with little to no fines, they burn hot and clean with about the same ash as hardwood and no black soot. The glass stays just as clean as lignetics or any hardwood pellet.

I E-Mailed Energex & this is the reply I got........

Thank you for contacting Energex American Pellet Fuel. The Stove Chow brand of pellets is made by Energex American. They are a premium grade fuel, made from hardwood, less than 1% ash and burn at a rate of 8300-8400 BTU's per minute. We hope you are pleased with the Stove Chow brand. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at the below contact information.

Thank You
LouAnn
Energex Customer Service
800-373-5538 ext 101
[email protected]

ElecTec said:
Mark Fellows said:

I E-Mailed Energex & this is the reply I got........

Thank you for contacting Energex American Pellet Fuel. The Stove Chow brand of pellets is made by Energex American. They are a premium grade fuel, made from hardwood, less than 1% ash and burn at a rate of 8300-8400 BTU's per minute. We hope you are pleased with the Stove Chow brand. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at the below contact information.

Thank You
LouAnn
Energex Customer Service
800-373-5538 ext 101
[email protected]

i expect they meant to say BTU's per Lb, not minute , probably just a typo, energex is a strong company , ive heard very few complaints on them with our stoves , nor seen too many bad things elsewhere on them.

I really like the Energex softwood, never tried there hardwood.

I have seen them at HD, the bag says 100% "white wood"nothing about hardwood. What does that mean? when I think of white wood pine comes to mind. If they are made by Energex does that mean they are the same pellet or a different grade, hence the different name?

BJN644 said:
I have seen them at HD, the bag says 100% "white wood"nothing about hardwood. What does that mean? when I think of white wood pine comes to mind. If they are made by Energex does that mean they are the same pellet or a different grade, hence the different name?

They are a premium grade fuel, made from hardwood, less than 1% ash.......Energex brand are softwood

I have burned both the Energex soft and hardwood pellets. Hardwood are marketed under the Juniata brand name. Found both to be a quality pellet. Nice heat and little ash. Softwoods did have some fines in the bags.

I have not tried the Stove chow brand but with the quality I have seen from Energex in the past. I would at least try some.

Attachments

• junita.gif
    junita.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 761
I wish there was a little more of a track record for them. There is a great deal going on at Home Depot now, but I'm a little sceptical just going by a few internet post and a web site listed on the bag that doesn't work.

So what the heck is white wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.