Stove clearance to door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcooper

Nov 4, 2013
Danbury, CT
I am planning to install a stove next to a door. When open, the door would violate the stove clearance requirements. Would this be a violation of building code?

Thanks for any help.

I don't know about code, but if the door is close enough when open to violate clearance, it may simply be unsafe. Unless that door is closed (and thus clear) all the time, i'd consider what options there are to remove the door or reverse the swing (assuming this helps). Then again, you don't say how much it violates clearance. If you are looking at the end of the door being 1/2" into the clearance zone and you only open the door that far on rare occasion I would be far less concerned. On the other hand if the door is using the stove as a doorstop...

When open, the door is in front of the stove. I can play around with how much distance there is by using a door stop. I am not too concerned with safety as the door is rarely used. I am more concerned with passing a building inspection in this case. I could put a vented non-flamable shield on the door and have a minimum 6 inch clearance to front corner of the stove, not sure if this would be required or not.

How about popping it off its hinges and removing the door?

LOL, well no need for an OAK hookup then. :)

Can the stove be moved over a little to eliminate this issue?

I like the idea of reversing the door swing, assuming it solves the problem.

Reactions: Grisu
If there is even the slightest chance someone may open the door while you are tending the hot stove and push you onto it I would not do it. My little ones like to jump all over me but I told them clearly I am off limits when I am kneeling in front of the stove.

Put a screw or two through the door into the frame preventing it from opening (you can remove the screws in the off-seasons when the stove isn't being used).

Hmm, steel replacement door might work. Ask the inspecting authority.

Can you post a picture of the stove location and door?

Status
Not open for further replies.