Stove clearances?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Tried searching Google and couldn't find anything. Does anyone know anything about this stove? My dad put it in our cabin this winter. The duroc seems to get pretty hot. Dont have my heat gun to check the actual temps. I have no clue what year the stove is either. Any help would be great.
20210320_010709.jpg

Clearance with no approved heat shield is 36 inches to combustible material. (you have no heat shield)

Any non-combustible material such as sheet metal or cement board can be used for a heat shield as long as it has a 1 inch air space behind it to wall. The bottom must be open, normally sat on a few bricks to support the shield so air flows under and behind shield rising out the open top. Start here;

With solid brick in contact with combustible studs you can reduce the 36 inch clearance by 33% or down to 24 inches. With shield using air space reduction of 66% is allowed down to 12 inches. The size must be so you cannot measure 36 inches from stove to combustible wall anywhere, on any angle;
de002f2.gif de002f1.gif

A new installation of any stove in your state requires all appliances to be UL Listed. This is due to adopting the 2015 International Codes. The Mechanical Code is where you will find installation and venting of solid fuel appliances and the requirement for UL Listing.

Search "Comfort Parlor Stove" (it is a coal stove in extremely good condition without seeing grate or burn pot)

Thank you so much. Yes my dad put some work in on it to get it to its current state. Not sure we want the full heat shield but we will be close if we put an air gap and a brick or stone veneer to the 24 inches.

Thank you so much. Yes my dad put some work in on it to get it to its current state. Not sure we want the full heat shield but we will be close if we put an air gap and a brick or stone veneer to the 24 inches.
If the wall has a full brick veneer (not thin brick) then the clearance is reduced 50% or 18".

Look closely on the bottom edge castings. Does it say Taiwan? There were many of these copies made a few decades ago and sold under the Comfort parlor stove brand.
Look for this.
Taiwan.jpg