Stove collar/spigot melted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Paulallen

Sep 8, 2020
Limerick
Hi guys I have a stanley oisin sf nb stove we inheriated after we bought our house.

After moving the stove slightly the collar attached to the stove fell apart. It looks like it melted while attached to the stove. I have sourced a new collar and steel flue bend. Does the collar just connect directly to the stove or do I need some kind of gasket to stop it melting again?

Picture attached below

Attachments

• received_639475173634705.jpeg
    received_639475173634705.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 122
Is that a solid fuel stove? I ask cause I could not find the pellet version for that stove in the manufacturer site.

Not so much melted as rusted out, from the picture. But looking at the manual that I found, it is not clear how the exhaust should be secured (they mention cement and plates). Anyway, whatever you do, make sure the exhaust is connected securely. For pellet stoves you need silicone and mechanical securing (screws) to make the connection from the stove to the exhaust. If you don't know what you are doing, hire a professional, your life depends on it.

Reactions: Paulallen
Yes solid fuel. It looks like to me the collar was connected directly to the stove with no fire rope and damaged both.

My plan was to use the new collar with fire rope attached this time and attach it to the stove.

As you can see from the picture flexi pipe was attached directly to the collar. I intent to instead use a steel elbow pipe like here

Amazon product ASIN B07VTPZHCF
And extend this into the chimney with this flue pipe

Amazon product ASIN B07VW8T15P
Have I sized all these pipes ok?

You are asking An American if the metric size is what you need
150 mm converts to 5.9055 inches or 6 inches if you prefer
Most Americans but not all understand metric
so if your stove has a 6 in smoke pipe the size is right
By the way, I am a Canadian we use metric. Being an old man
I had to learn both imperial and metric

Hi Paul, welcome to you over in Ireland!

It looks like the flue collar (flue spigot) has broken (or rusted out, as @viney11950 said) and become detached from the back of the stove.

I think this is the manual for your stove, and it says to use an approved fire cement at that joint (pgs. 8 & 9)

It looks like your stove can be configured with a top or rear flue exit, so you may be able to look at how the top cover plate is attached to the stove to see how the flue collar attaches.

For your question about the size of the pipes you want to order, they look like they will be close, but you should measure the ID of your flue liner and OD of the new flue collar to be sure they will fit.

Good luck!