stove depreciation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvellone

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2006
Finally gotten around to preparing my old Jotul for selling and I'm not seeing many for sale for a comparison. I have little idea of how a woodstove depreciates (it's 3 years old and in very good condition), and I want to offer it for a fair price for buyer and myself.
Is there a percentage of original value I can go by?

If you are selling the Castine then ya got problem. That being that all of the dealers are hawking the 30 percent tax credit. A used Castine is also eligible but making a buyer believe that will be difficult.

It is not a good time for selling used stoves with that credit hanging around.

One of the issues you are going to run into is the tax credit they are giving out now. I went through doing the math on the HI300 (new with blower 2300) and found one on line that was a year old. They wanted 1500 for it. Seems like a good deal, but after figuring the tax credit in for a new one, the new stove only ends up costing and extra 100 dollars or so. Between the hassle of driving 2 hours to inspect and haggle, anything more than 800 bucks would not be worth it. Just one opinion.

BrotherBart said:
If you are selling the Castine then ya got problem. That being that all of the dealers are hawking the 30 percent tax credit. A used Castine is also eligible but making a buyer believe that will be difficult.

I'm selling the f100 - I replaced it with a castine. But on Jotul's website they state that the f100 also qualifies for the credit.
My understanding is that to qualify for the credit the stove has to be purchased new. I couldn't find the statement on the IRS website though - go figure.

I had the stove available for sale last fall when I installed the castine but dragged my feet because I was hesitant to let it go. Now the tax credit.

BrotherBart said:
30 percent tax credit. A used Castine is also eligible but making a buyer believe that will be difficult.

i agree, i wouldn't buy it if i was excpecting credit...

the maker must be willing to issue a qualifying cert for this to be true, per recoveryact, are they willing to do so for older models?? other makers aren't!! i know i have asked

Status
Not open for further replies.