Stove downstairs or Fireplace insert upstairs?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stove or insert?

• insert

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • STOVE!

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the wrong person to ask. I've never had to buy a single stick of firewood. So unless it starts raining wood pellets or something it's not likely I'd ever have one.

I'm the wrong person to ask. I've never had to buy a single stick of firewood. So unless it starts raining wood pellets or something it's not likely I'd ever have one.
Yea that's the only problem is the fuel source...the chimney would be easier and the wife would like it better. It's a cleaner burn and a little less maintenxe. But wood is hotter, free(ish), and more reliable...

I'm just trying to take every angle possible right now...definetely putting a stove in the basement before an insert upstairs, just not sure which one yet. I personally would prefer a wood stove BY FAR. But the wife gets a say to and I think she likes the convience of pellets. Regardless, stove in the basement with strategic placement will be the way to go!!! This forum helped out with that big time!

Yea that's the only problem is the fuel source...the chimney would be easier and the wife would like it better. It's a cleaner burn and a little less maintenxe. But wood is hotter, free(ish), and more reliable...

I'm just trying to take every angle possible right now...definetely putting a stove in the basement before an insert upstairs, just not sure which one yet. I personally would prefer a wood stove BY FAR. But the wife gets a say to and I think she likes the convience of pellets. Regardless, stove in the basement with strategic placement will be the way to go!!! This forum helped out with that big time!
Its nice that you are making the decision together. What you could do is pick the stove you think is the best fit for your situation and then ask her how she would like to trim it out. I may go the way of the pellet stove when I cant do the work anymore but I may just buy wood at that point. I like the freedom and independence of a wood stove and also enjoy the pride of looking at a stack of wood knowing Im the one who made that happen. Each to their own I certainly think you are wise to look at all sides of wood heating so in the end you know youve made the best possible choice. Its a fun process,,, enjoy :)

We purchased our home with a pellet stove, after having a home with a wood stove. We thought we'd love the convenience of the pellet stove. The maintenance was a headache! We switched back to wood.

Yeah there's more maintenance with a pellet stove than I thought. I was led to believe you just load it up once a day and that's it. I had to clean out ashes twice a week, one morning I got up to a freezing house because the pellets jammed, the price of pellets the year I had it was the same as oil so I did a lot of work for nothing and sold it for a loss. I got money back ten fold with the wood stove so it all worked out.
My wife wanted the pellet stove and I wanted a wood stove, after one year with our pellet experience she acquiesced.

Reactions: Heftiger
Status
Not open for further replies.