Stove Identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

revdocjim

Burning Hunk
Sep 7, 2015
Japan
I'm fairly new here but have been lurking for a while. I live in the mountains in Gunma, Japan and rely on a Napoleon 1400 for primary heat in our home. We have a cabin in the mountains of Nagano and I'm in the process of installing a Jotul F500 there since our newly wed son and his wife will be wintering there. The F500 is actually replacing another stove we used previously and that is the one I'm trying to identify, since I'm hoping to find a new home for it. I was told it was German in origin but cannot find any markings on it whatsoever. It has screen doors in the front and a baffle in the 7 inch rear chimney flue. I'm attaching a photo as well.
dsc07064.jpg

looks kind of like a reg ol fireplace to me. are there marking or placards on the back? is there a way to control the air going into it? how long would it burn if you were to fill it up?

Well, basically it is a fireplace, in the sense that it isn't airtight. The only control is the baffle in the flue. As I mentioned in the OP, no markings whatsoever. It is about 90cm in width, 65cm high and about 60cm deep. But it is a freestanding unit, not built into a wall in any way. It goes thru wood pretty fast, although if you close down the baffle a bit it may keep going for 2-3 hours with a load of good hardwood.

i would say it's not worth much money. around here getting rid of something that big would be a hassle. if it were me i would put it in the classifieds as come and take it for free. you would find a home for it and not cost you money to scrap it. don't know what the market is like in japan but here in massachusetts it would be a long and drawn out process to get rid of it.

sorry
frank

Actually, I have an idea. We have an old built in fireplace at the camp facility my wife and I manage. It never worked well, probably because the chimney was too large and not long enough. Lots of back draft in windy weather. It hasn't been used for years and now the baffle and other parts are rusted out and non-functional. I'm thinking I could insert this stove into that fireplace (it just fits), and run the single wall, 7 inch chimney up the old concrete chimney and probably get a better draft. It still won't provide much heat but that really isn't the purpose of the fireplace anyway.

that's good you found a spot. just remember to put a block off plate to seal off the area between the fire place and flue area so there is no chance of a backdraft from a chimney fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.