stove insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bull

Dec 7, 2008
south east ky
have installed my fisher insert and would like to ask ?s the stove has a direct connect installed in exsiting flue , it seems to work very good . except it seems like it is not putting out the heat like my stove in the basement . dont get me wrong it has the heat rolling of of it. it doesnt have a damper on it like the stove down stairs . is my heat going out the chimney . will try to upload pics. also glass is getting
fisherinsertf1.jpg
black .

no complete liner all the way out with flue seal and cap.

OK, that good - direct connect usually refers to a partial liner. That said, lots of folks have had a lot more heat from their inserts when they install a block off plate. It seems to keep the air from circulating around the flue, which keeps the flue hotter, and keeps the air in the house as well. Give a search on the site for block off plate to get an idea what is involved.

it is a little under 18" . i was going to bed and loaded my stove as i did since sat. closing all vents and i noticed that i can hear a air noise , thought i missed one but it sounds like the noise is coming from the top of the doors . the temp has drop to 10 * wind chill 5* . all ways heard when flue is hot and its cold outside that the stove will draw hard . know i know . was afraid to go to sleep because it was really getting with it. and couldnt shut it down anymore, is this why it has blackened the glass . has no damper. seal looks ok but it is pretty flat. what to do please help. dont wont it to happen again .

Have you tried the dollar bill test on it - take a bill, close the door, and see if the bill can be slid out - if so, then generally it is time to replace the gasket.

your black glass is less a sign of an overfire and more a sign of incomplete burning - think wet wood, poor draft wood to close to glass etc. The trouble is that what you see on your glass is also likely being deposited in your flue too.

oconnor said:
your black glass is less a sign of an overfire and more a sign of incomplete burning - think wet wood, poor draft wood to close to glass etc. The trouble is that what you see on your glass is also likely being deposited in your flue too.

I agree. hazy or brownish soot on your glass is mostly from not so well-seasoned wood. It sometimes happens to me if I close the primary too soon and too much.

From what I've read here, inserts are less efficient compared to a stove where you have more control (flue-damper). My insert does not have a flue-damper and I assume most, if not all inserts don't have a flue-damper. Assuming roughly similar operating parameters, your insert will under-perform your stove in your basement.

Does your insert have a blower? If it does, inserts are more effective with blowers. Also, turning on the blower (if it is not automatic) after the insert reaches a good high operating temperature helps get more heat out of the insert than having it on when it is not that hot.

the only place that it slid out was at the bottom it was pretty tight though when i pulled it out . i used a piece of paper the size of a doller. if that works . the other nite after i loaded my stove up i closed all my drafts up tight when it was burning for awhile to go to bed i left the front two open just a little you can see them in the front they slide back and forth , and the big drafts screw in and out they are on the sides. ,my wife woke me up to come check the stove. it was getting hot real hot. closed the fronts all the way but it didnt help was kind of scared didnt know what to do what would make it go crazy like that . after i worked so hard getting it together now fraid to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.