stove install price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Hearth Supporter
Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
I just got a price for a install from a dealer for tl300 harman stove installed in my basement going out thru my pured concrete wall and up thru the eve of my roof The total price including tax is 4627. there about 10ft of stainless pipe to reach the eve

Labor is 750
materail 1,673
stove is 1981

The price for materials seems high. The labor seems right. I am not familiar with the price of the stove.

Just my 2 cents.

ya I think this dealer is trying to ripe me off on materials. I'm trying to get ahold of a guy to do it on the side.

the price actually does not look too bad to me from looking up the prices on insulated pipe in our computer at the shop. you will need about 14' of vertical pipe to make it past the eve and have enough clearance from your roofline, another 12-18" inside to make it past the concrete wall... the price of the stove reflects the current sale the harman company is having on the stove, and his install rate does not look too bad... we would maybe charge about 600 for a similar install in our area (unless you are more than say, 1/2 hr drive time from the shop). But all in all it is a good price for a professional, INSURED installation that will meet all codes and insurance company requirements. Also, an install like that has all the little things that you don't think about rolled into the price... things like pressure treated lumber to mount the support to, fasteners, cement to fill the hole, silicone sealant, chisleing a hole thru a foundation filled w/ rebar, etc... it also does not appear that he charged anything for the stove pipe to connect to the chimney (as i came up w/ about 1640 for the chimney parts alone).. and any shop worth its salt will provide you w/ double wall or heavy gauge single wall stove pipe (which can add @ 200-300 to the total). be carefull of the guys that do it on the side.. often times they will come up short on what is needed to be done to complete the install, when all these little extras cut into their bottom line.

If I could have picked up a Harmon for less than $2000 last year that is what would be in my living room but It was going to be alot more than that, so I think the stove price is pretty good, I spent nearly $700 on my chimney 12ft. simpson duravent, roof kit and telescoping double wall pipe and connectors from lowes last August but I know the stove shop told me basicly $100 a foot for materials if I was going to have them install so I think this guy is inline as far as his prices. Don't know what they normally charge to install it because I installed my own when we were replacing the roof last fall. If I remember correctly the kit & thimble to go through the wall was kinda expensive

kingfisher said:
I just got a price for a install from a dealer for tl300 harman stove installed in my basement going out thru my pured concrete wall and up thru the eve of my roof The total price including tax is 4627. there about 10ft of stainless pipe to reach the eve

Labor is 750
materail 1,673
stove is 1981

Remember -30% on the whole shebang (up to $1500) if the stove qualifies for the tax credit.

MarkG

my install total cost a little over 6 thousand labor and material, labor was only 650
two floor house w/walk up attic, so about three floors worth of pipe with bends and a collar
plus extras
might be a little steep on the labor

I have talked it over with my wife and am planning to put the stove upstairs on my main floor in my den. It's a open floor plan so it should work good for me. I don't really need to heat the basement. It will be a thousand dollars less on the install.

kingfisher said:
I have talked it over with my wife and am planning to put the stove upstairs on my main floor in my den. It's a open floor plan so it should work good for me. I don't really need to heat the basement. It will be a thousand dollars less on the install.

Good for you! I bet you just saved yourself a bunch of the "how do I get the heat to move up from my basement" posts :)

Seriously - it seems a lot of folks put their stoves in the basement then end up only going down there to feed the stove and wonder how to get all that nice heat upstairs where they are actually living. Since stoves are so nice to be near it is such a shame you know? Now, for folks who actually USE the basement that is a different story of course!

Then again, when I put a stove in my basement I will start using the basement... and that is a serious consideration if I can convince the wife to go along with the idea... but then she may never see me in the winter as I live in my warm cave... But I digress again.

changed to a s2400 regency with blower installed with tax and labor 3400. I have to start getting my hearth pad layed out. anyone have any idea for materials. will 3/4 plywood, cement board. then slate tile work
The harman was a bit large for the corner install.

Status
Not open for further replies.